2002 Highlander - codes P0125 and P0136 (CEL and VSC lights)

Having brought my 2002 Toyota V6 AWD with 140,000 miles to my Toyota dealership to check out a simultaneous check engine light and vehicle stability control light, I learned that I would need an oxygen sensor replaced which would cost about $400.

I passed on this repair - especially considering I'm looking at possibly not having this vehicle a year from now.

The two diagnostic codes received from an OBDII scan tool were:

P0125 (Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control)

and

P0136 (Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction - Bank #1 Sensor #2)

Any ideas on what short and long term issues I might have not replacing this oxygen sensor?

Bud H

Reply to
Bud H

Poor fuel economy and not passing emissions. They won't even touch it with the MIL illuminated.

Test the Bank 1 Sensor 2 sensor, and if you're not keeping the vehicle, replace it with a Bosch from CarQuest...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If your vehicle has a single exhaust pipe, it has 3 O2 sensors: Bank 1 sensor 1, Bank 2 sensor 1, and Bank 1 Sensor 2.

Since the dealership has already diagnosed the problem, you can just buy the O2 sensors and replace them yourself. Check to see how many and which O2 sensors the dealership wants to replace.

If the check engine light is on, you will not pass an emissions test and you will not have VSC operation.

No short term issues other than no VSC and long term, you can damage the catalytic converter.

Reply to
Ray O