2002 Sienna rear door struts

The struts that help to open the rear door are a bit rusted now, but since they were new, the operation of them has frequently been very sticky, making it very hard to close the overhead door. Other times they're working as they should, however.

Does anyone know if these struts can be lubed or serviced somehow? I suspect that if I get new ones, they might act the same.

Bob Simpson

Reply to
Bob Simpson

I wouldn't worry if the black strut housing has some external rust, but the chrome shaft should be clean and shiny. if it is not clean, use some silicone spray to clean up and lube. Use lithium or silicone grease to lube the hinges on the hatch, the strut attachment point on the hatch, and the ball-and-socket attachment point on the door frame.

Reply to
Ray O