2002 Sienna Spark Plugs

I changed out the front bank of plugs on my 2002 Sienna with no problems. I can get to the back bank to get the clips off of the coils, but I can't get enough torque on my ratchet to loosen the plugs. I've read where others have had success getting the back row of plugs out without removing the plenum, but I can't understand how they could turn the ratchet. Has anyone done this that can give me some advice? I gather the V6 Camry is similar.

If I have to take off the plenum, I have the Haynes manual, but it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of its detail. Has anyone taken off the plenum? How does one releive pressure on the fuel system? I don't see where Haynes covers this.

Finally, I'm thinking of breaking down and buying the factory service manual. Is Toyota the only option?

Thanks.

Reply to
jim

I've never tried to do this on a Sienna myself, you may want to try a universal joint on a socket extension.

One releives pressure on the fuel system by closing your eyes and mouth, loosening one of the connections, and taking a gasolene shower. You can reduce the shower somehwat by putting your wrenches on the joints, wrapping a rag around the joint and wrenches, and then loosening by feel.

The only true factory service manual is from Toyota. It also has the most detail about a particular vehicle.

If you don't want to lay out a lot of money and only need occasional extra detail, you can purchase online access to the service manuals at techinfo.toyota.com for U.S. $10/day. So, you can download the info you need plus any info you think you might need in the future and not invest in the entire manual.

Reply to
Ray O

To relieve the fuel pressure, why not pull the fuel pump fuse and then crank the car a few times. Thats what I've always done (not on my Toyota) before replacing fuel filters.

Regards, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

If you can get a socket, extension, and wratchet on the sparkplug, then you've already gotten farther than most. You either need to pull harder or get a longer wratchet. Don't be fooled, it is a pain in the ass to change these things. It can take an experienced tech a good 30 mins just to do the three rear plugs, and Siennas are even harder because of the cowl. One thing that may give you more space: there is a ground strap that secures to the right side of the intake manifold with a 12mm socket. Should be 3 or 4 brown wires with a slip ring. Take that ground strap off and you should be able to get more of your arm under the manifold. Personally, I use a 3" extension, socket, and a 6" wratchet for all three. I get two from the passenger side and one from the driver side. Hope this helps.

Reply to
qslim

I would imagine that if you pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine, there is nothing to push the fuel out of the fuel line and into the engine. It is an interesting idea, although I have never seen any technician at a dealership try it.

Reply to
Ray O

On my 2000 Sienna, I carefully move the smallest ratchet under the back side of the plenum before connecting to the socket. There are plenty of space back there if you can reach it (hint: small long hand would help). The only thing I had to remove is the PCV hose on the passenger side under the plenum.

Reply to
ZR

Ray - but there is pressure in the lines right? so when the injector opens, the existing pressure in the lines should force the fuel out. Everytime I've done this, the car fires for a second, sputters and then dies. Subsequent starting just results in cranking without any combustion (i.e. no fuel delivery).

When I undo the fuel filter hose after that, some fuel drains, but there is no spray or residual pressure.

Perhaps I'm looking at it too simplistically :)

Regards, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Yes, there should be some residual pressure in the lines, but it is not like cutting a fire hose. Actually, you are not looking at it too simplistically. IMO, you're making the job more difficult than it needs to be.

In an OBD II vehicle, pulling fuses and cranking the engine will give you 2 or 3 different trouble codes.

If you watch a professional technician change the fuel filter, they will have a container to catch the fuel in place, crack the line open, replace the filter, and put it back together, without bothering to relieve the pressure in the fuel lines.

Reply to
Ray O

I got the plugs out. Thanks everybody. What I wound up doing was removing the winshield wiper motor assembly. This allowed me to get two 6 inch extensions on the spark plug. One of the extensions was a wobble extension. I don't know if it was necessary, but I think it helped. I was able to get my ratchet on ABOVE the plenum which allowed me to get enough torque to take off the old plugs. You could use a small torque wrench to put the plugs in as there is enough room. Removing the winshield wiper assemply was pretty easy, though I have to say the whole job took me about 2 hours just for the back plugs. I also lost a spark plug tube seal in the back, but I was smart enough to transfer one off the front so that when I replace it, I've got an easy plug to work with.

With this method, you're still working blind most of the time, but I think it beats pulling the plenum. Next time I do it, I'll make sure the engine is stone cold. Its amazing how hot the top of the engine gets.

Jim

Reply to
jim

I agree that you can definitely do the job without pulling the fuse. Anytime I've cranked with just the fuel-pump fuse pulled, I've not had any trouble codes stored. I can definitely see a case though, where the fuel pump is on a circuit with some other sensors, and pulling that particular fuse would trip the CEL.

Regards, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Cool man, whatever works. Saved your self a bit of cash and got it done your self. Job well done.

Reply to
qslim