2002 Toyota Corolla inner CV boot clamp

Hi,

Today I had my oil changed and the tranny fluid flushed. They noted that the right inner CV clamp was leaking grease. I guess they said the boot(s) were OK though.

I guess the clamp is about $5.00 but they mentioned maybe needing 2 hours to replace it at like $250+ just in LABOR?!?!?!

They also said they may just need to replace the entire CV assembly thing on the right side.

I was going to visit an independent shop this week just to see what they say. This is the first I have heard of this issue...

If the CV boot isn't even damaged, I don't get how they would have even see a problem? They said it had grease all over it, but I have

*never* seen any on the ground...

Thanks!

Reply to
mrsteveo

"mrsteveo" wrote in news:1172971584.336092.37790 @s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

i cant say if you have a boot clamp leaking or not BUT, you could actually use a worm clamp w/out removing the halfshaft. the price you mentioned sounds like they want to r&r the shaft and use manuf. clamps. if your skeptical about the whole thing, jack it up and look for grease smears from the boot ends.....if its the large end of the boot their may not be enuff clearance for a wormscrew clamp............kjun

Reply to
Kjun

Look inside the wheel well, and if you don't see several tiny specs of grease or spots of oil and the boot doesn't look split or cracked, you probably just need to tighten the inner clamp.

Most shops replace entire CV assemblies because it takes just as much labor to replace just a boot, unless a split boot is installed.

Reply to
rantonrave

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote: the right inner CV clamp was leaking grease. I have

============== Helps if you know what to look for. To see the inner CV boot you need to lift the car and remove the wheel. There are two CV joints on each side, one (outer) near wheel hub, and one (inner) closer to the differential. On my '94 Camry, the inner boot clamp on the left side was leaking grease for some time. I kept wiping it off when rotating tires, but it would re appear. Looking closely, there seemed to be a plastic sleeve inside the boot that was actually leaking. The amount of grease actually lost was small, so I left it for perhaps 20 - 30,000 miles, but after learning how to replace the right side, I went ahead and replaced the left. I do not believe a worm or screw drive clamp will work for this application. The clamps they use are crimped into place with a special tool. I think they're something like $30 at NAPA for CV boot clamping tool. The problem is that you really should remove the boot, clean and re pack the old grease, then install the new clamp which is more work than just replacing the axle. Toyota remanufactured axles are balanced and all parts subject to wear are replaced with factory spec. new.

Reply to
nospampls2002