2003 4Runner squeaks near rear door

This is for my BIL. His 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 recently started squeaking near the rear door when driving.

Some facts:

- He had a rear collision in 2003, repaired by insurance company, however the squeaking started only very recently

- it only squeaks when the rear door is closed.

- It also squeaks when we try to rock the car sideways

- Spraying WD-40 into the rear door latch did not help

We are stumped.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much.

Ignoramus31199

WD-40 is not the lubricant of choice for door hardware. Try lithium grease in an aerosol can and spray the door latch and hinges and spray silicone on the door gaskets. If it still squeaks, it is probably a trim panel. Sit next to the door while someone rocks the car and apply pressure on different parts of the interior trim and door frame until the squeak stops. Then you will have narrowed down the source of the squeak and can proceed from there.

Reply to
Ray O