2003 camry check engine light

my check engine light just came on (about 45K miles) and I was wondering if the check engine light will come on when its time to do a regular maintenance (my honda civic does that, its check engine light is based on milage). If this is the case they will just reset it when I take it to the dealer for a oil change (due anyway) correct?

thanks

john

runsrealfast

Not correct. The check engine light comes on when the system has detected a problem with the emissions control system. You can take the car to a service facility to have the codes scanned or some auto parts stores will lend you the scan tool.

Reply to
Ray O

Check Engine and Service Required are not the same light.

The Check light means that the engine management computer is not happy. You need to get the codes before you will know what to do next.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland