2003 Corolla is LOUD when it's cold

For some time I've been noticing my Corolla seems loud when I start it after it's been sitting in the cold (like below fifteen degrees F) for a while. Then last night leaving work, it was ten below zero, and the engine noise was WAY louder than normal. I could even feel the vibrations from the engine in the floor. It subsided to normal as the engine warmed up.

I'm guessing whatever material the motor mounts are made of stiffens with cold and transmits noise and vibration to the body, thereby amplifying both.

Anyone else have this experience?

Reply to
Ernie Sty

Sounds suspicious but... Make sure your oil is at the right level and you are using the correctoil for this type of weather. Synthetic wouldn't hurt here.

Reply to
RT

I think Philip has mentioned valve train noise that is normal for Corollas, especially on cold startup. If it subsides, then that is probably what you are hearing.

Reply to
Ray O