2003 corolla maintenance

1)How often do I need to have my 2003 corolla tuned up? 30,000mi? And must I go to dealer or can should I go to Midas or sompelace cheaper?

2) And please tell me all parts that should be included/replaced with this tuneup

3) And which tires perform well on the 2003 Corolla?

4) Is anyone using dry gas (and how often) or oil treatments, like STP, in their Corolla?

Reply to
slatt333

You should follow the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.

You can go to any competent service facility to have the work done, however, you will probably have better success with a place that uses OEM ignition and brake parts. Also keep in mind that if you have an automatic transmission, it uses special automatic transmission fluid that independent shops probably don't carry.

Again, you should refer to your owner's manual for parts to be replaced and replacement intervals.

At 30,000 miles, the service consists mostly or fluid replacement, like coolant, transmission, and differential fluids.

A good place to research tires is tirerack.com.

The quality of fuels and oils today is very good. Toyota does not recommend the routine use of any oil or fuel additives. Dry gas is basically alcohol, which has a negative effect on rubber, and routine use actually can cause more problems than it solves. The trick is to stick to name brand oils that meet the manufacturer's specifications and purchase fuel from a gas station that sells a large volume of gas.

Reply to
Ray O

I opt for a bottle of Chevron Techron ever 6 months or so vice dry gas. It effectively cleans the fuel injectors too. Try Target or Walmart.

Tune-up is an obsolete word now with computerized fuel injection and ignition systems. I replace the plugs and distributor cap every 60k miles with OEM parts. At more than 3 years old I'd also think about replacing the replace the plug wires too if over say 50k miles.

Argh MIDAS - you must be made of money! Cheap pun but they are generally crappy at doing maintenance. They will say things that don't need doing needs to be done --- they work on a percentage of the bill.

Reply to
Wolfgang

it doesn't need a tune-up. the plugs last 50,000 miles plus, there are no points to change, there's very little to do but change the oil and filter. and no, you don't have to go to the dealer. in fact, that's the last place i'd take my car. they will push a lot of unnecessary service on you. the first service my toyota has needed has been past 100,000 miles. i had a wheel bearing changed. i did check the plugs at 50,000 miles and i still have my original plugs in it now with 100,000 miles plus. keep a check on the fluids and filters and you won't go wrong. sammmm

Reply to
SAMMM

Midas shops are franchises and just like Toyota dealerships, quality of service varies from one to another.

Reply to
FanJet

Thanks for the info.. Wow no tuneups, cool. My 2003 corolla ce has only 22K ( I found at toy dealership). But should I not change the tranny fluid at 30K? and take this to dealer to get proper fluid? I guess I could buy the automatic transmission fluid from toyota and then have Midas add it?

Reply to
slatt333

go to

and click on the "Owners" link, then you can get maintenance info for your specific car. It looks like the 30K mile service involves an oil change, replacing coolant and inspecting the ATF and differential fluids. As far as coolant goes, if it were my car, I'd stick to genuine Toyota coolant, which is red.

Reply to
Ray O

According to toyota you probably won't have to change the tranny fluid. I would do it it anyways. A regular drain and fill is not expenisve at all. IT won't replace all fluid in the tranny but that isn't needed anyways. Doing it this way and more frequent will have the tranny operatewell for many miles.

Reply to
RT