2003 corolla oil change

The dealer told me these newer cars can go 5,000 miles between oil changes...But my question is, How many months (is it stll three?) before I should change the oil? I drive the car only 100 miles a week.

I am assuming I should still change the oil every three months if I don't drive it a lot, or 100 miles a week

Reply to
slatt333

Very good question, I have a toyota corolla too. So I figured, 3 months = 3,000 miles, then 5,000 miles might = 5 months.

Just a guess, I plan on asking my local dealer soon.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Two words: owner's manual

Ignore at risk of voiding warranty

If you have no manual, Toyota has scheduled maintenance on their website.

They have both the monthly interval as well as the miles.

Reply to
timbirr

I bought the car from dealer in January 06. They put a sticker on the windshield to come back in June of 06!! for next maintenance visit, or

27,400 miles. When I purchased the car it had 22,400 miles..

It appears then that dealership is going by 5,000 miles or about 4 months, since the car was purchased late Jan 06 and the date on windshield is first week of June 06---Feb, March April, May without an oil change. Mileage is still under 25,000, however------HOW LONG DOES THE OIL LAST?????!!!!!!!

Reply to
slatt333

AS LONG AS THE OWNER'S MANUAL SAYS IT WILL LAST!!!!!

Reply to
Ray O

The dealer is right, 5000 miles with a high quality motor oil (API SL/SM) of the proper viscosity. Six months is fine depending upon how you drive those 100 miles/week. If you drive such that the car is fully warmed up during each trip (at least 15 or 20 minutes), a 5000 mile/6 month interval is fine. If your trips are short, the engine doesn't fully warm up and water can contaminate the oil. A 3 month interval would be safer if your trips are short.

Reply to
getoutanpush

The dealer is right, 5000 miles with a high quality motor oil (API SL/SM) of the proper viscosity. Six months is fine depending upon how you drive those 100 miles/week. If you drive such that the car is fully warmed up during each trip (at least 15 or 20 minutes), a 5000 mile/6 month interval is fine. If your trips are short, the engine doesn't fully warm up and water can contaminate the oil. A 3 month interval would be safer if your trips are short.

Reply to
getoutanpush

That would be a perfect interval, if you didn't care about your warranty.....

Reply to
timbirr

replying to my post. I found that toyotta online has a four months =

5000 miles on their selection dropdown for scheduled maintanence page. Check out toyota.com

later,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Five thousand miles between oil changes is fine. And if you change your oil at multiples of five thousand miles on the odometer, it's easy to remember when the next oil change is due.

As an aside, I change my cars' oil myself and use oil changes as an opportunity to give the cars a good once-over. I put them up on stands (quick and easy to do with a trolley jack), pull the wheels off while the old oil is draining, check their condition and that of the brake pads, inspect the suspension, shocks, differential and and underbody, then rotate the tires front to back when I put them back on. And I torque the lug bolts to spec. Being that well acquainted with my cars gives me a lot of confidence in them.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Since the addition of intelligent variable timing, the service intervals are now at 5,000 miles or 8,000 km.

Reply to
Whatsup