2003 Highlander front brake rattle

Hello all, I just noticed a rattle from the right front wheel on my 03 highlander awd v6 w/40K miles. Upon taking the wheel off, the brake pads seem about 1/2 worn, and I can move the outer pad enough such that it can make a metallic contact rattle w/caliper and seems the source of the rattle I have heard. I believe one of the anitrattle clips is missing, is this normal to happen? I assume I will have to get these off of the dealer.

also, when I decide to replace the pads, what brand of brake pads do you recommend? Are there better ones out there than OEM? thanks

Reply to
mrmatrix

I have never heard of an anti-rattle clip falling off. There should be one at the upper and one at the lower end of the pad. The best source of the clips is the dealer, and IMO, the best pads are the OEM ones. They offer the best balance of longevity, braking ability, and noise for most drivers. Keep in mind that a longer-lasting pad will probably be harder and may have diminished stopping ability and/or more wear on the rotor, and a higher-performance pad will probably be softer and have a shorter life and may have more brake dust.

Minimum pad thickness is 2 mm. If you are going to replace the pads and clips yourself, make sure you coat the caliper slides with anti-seize or wheel bearing grease to help prevent binding.

Reply to
Ray O