2004 Avalon XLS: replace cabin air filter?

2004 Avalon XLS: I thought I'd be a good kid and replace the cabin air filter, even though from the price it must be made of the same stuff that's in the cat convertor.

Bosch says to drop the glove box by removing a screw on the right and the filter box is right behind it, but the advise applies to 2000 on and apparently not mine. Plastic widget on right seems like it ought to turn about 45 degrees and pop through a slot but seems glued/welded. Peeking behind anyway the filter box, if that's it, has another panel in the way.

How to get the glove box out of the way without breaking something? Is that really the correct path?

Thanks...

Reply to
JT

We had an 02 Avalon and had to remove all the screws around face of glove box AND a small bolt

We have an 05 Limited now and I've not changed it yet but it appears to be much closer to my Highlander.

It has a dampener rod on right side of glove box - remove screw then hold door up a bit (empty!) and push in sides - should allow the box to drop down exposing the filter cover - pull it off and replace filter.

There are after market (Bosch) filters out there but I prefer the Denso if you can find it. Cabin filter here in Redding, Ca is 26.95 - air filter is 16.95 both at dealer.

Hope this works (or similar to) your 04

Reply to
ron

Thanks very much for the advice, Ron. The 04 xls does have that dampener on the right, and a cone-shaped stop protruding out from the right side of the box. The stop is easy to get by because the box is flexible enough to just pooch it in and get the stop past the 'wall'. But the connection to the damper is my stumbling block - the 'pin' that holds the box to the damper is tee shaped, with a wide flat head inside the glovebox, at the moment rotated about 45 deg from the matching slot in the box. Obviously all I have to do is rotate the head 45 deg to match the slot, pooch the box in a bit and down she goes. But the thing seems welded in place. Fingers and small visegrips don't budge it, and dynamite is likely to cause collateral damage.

(Oh, the soluti>We had an 02 Avalon and had to remove all the screws around face of

Reply to
JT

the upper end reachable?

our 05 simply has a Phillips screw to attach to box

the 02 like I said probably had 6 or 8 screws around inside plus the small bolt - seems like regression, not progress in doing simple things. Shouldn't have to be so tough (unless they are pumping up someone's salary)

Reply to
ron