2004 Corolla LE

My daughter has a 2004 Corolla LE. She was visiting me yesterday and I was looking at her daytime running lights because my brother in law was telling me about his earlier for his 2006 Civic.

I have a few questions about daytime running lights in the 04 Corolla:

a) Are the daytime running lights the same bulb as the head lights? Are they of the same intensity/brightness when compared to turning on the headlights?

b) If they are of the same bulb, will they tend to burn out the head light faster?

c) Bear with me here 'cause I didn't read the manual. Is the replacement easy to do or a lot of stuff in the way?

d) Are the replacements available in auto part stores or just at the dealer?

Reply to
Rob

Yes. There is a slight voltage drop in DRL mode.

The better question would be: Will DRL operation significantly ... shorten headlamp life? I doubt it. The bulb has an hour life span. So far as the car is concerned, you are always driving at night.

Easy enough but I believe you need to remove the battery (I could certainly be wrong) to access the passenger side bulb.

Every autoparts store in the USA has that bulb. Nuthin' special.

Reply to
Philip

Thanks Philip for the fast reply. I'm not sure if I understand the last answer. Are you saying the life span for the headlight / DRL is short to begin with?

Reply to
Rob

First to correct and error. Your battery is on the driver's side.

Second, I mean to say the light bulb has a nominal life. When you had full manual control of your headlights, the headlights were ON only during night driving. So the headlamps might last for 100k driven miles because only 50k of those miles were driven at night. But now ... with DRL ... the lights are ON anytime the vehicles engine is running so ... your lights might only last 50k driven miles. Same number of operational hours so far as the lamps are concerned. Understand?

As an aside, I had my '03 Corolla for only a couple of months before I opted to have the DRL feature deactivated. Toyota has a bulletin on how to do this -properly-. When done -properly-, full manual functionality is granted to the headlight smart stick on the steering colum. The Twilight Sentinal is also deactivated.

Typically, this revelation garners cat calls from a Safety Nazi or two in this group. I don't care. Bring 'em on! LOL

Reply to
Philip

Understood now and thank you for the help. I doubt I'll will disable them but just in case I change my mind, can you tell me where I might be able to read this toyota bulletin, if its on line.

Appreciated.

Reply to
Rob

Your Toyota dealer has the bulletin with the CORRECT way to disable the DRL system. You will read on the Internet some alternatives involving an additional dash switch. Junk.

The correct method is to locate the DRL module up under the dash, to the right of the steering column. Snip the yellow wire (terminal #8). Ground the yellow wire coming out of the connector at the DRL. Tape up the other half of the yellow wire going into the wiring harness. You're done.

Reply to
Philip

Thank you again.

Reply to