2004 corolla won’t move

Wondering if someone could help me diagnose a problem I just had with my Corolla. It only has 28000 miles on it and I drive it at least once a week. Got in today started it, put it in gear and it wouldn?t move. It felt like a wheel was blocked by something but there was nothing there. Won?t move forward either. Problem is definitely on the right side. Haven?t had any problems with the car. It is up to date on all maintenance. Took it on a drive between DC and NJ and back last weekend.

It has standard transmission.

Reply to
prana

Last time you parked it, did you set the parking brake?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

== Parking brake cable frozen - not releasing, or brake caliper seized. My guess, brakes not releasing somewhere.

Reply to
nospampls2002

I should have explained more. Yes, the parking brake was set when it was parked and released when I tried to drive it. I have driven before with the brake on and when that happened in the past the car will move but with resistance, but it will move with the brake on.

This time it won?t move, forward or back. You can feel it try to move, but it feels like it is pushing against some invisible force and it feels like it is on the right side rear, this corner almost rises up a little, like it is starting up a ramp, but only very slightly (like 1 cm or less of movement).

When the car is in neutral, and the car is pushed back or forward, it won?t budge either.

I talked to a mechanic by phone and he thought it was the clutch (??)

I hate to think this as it is a 3 year old car with low miles that is the first brand new car I have ever purchased.

"nospampls2002" wrote: > prana wrote: > >put it in gear and it wouldn't move. > == > Parking brake cable frozen - not releasing, or brake caliper > seized. > My guess, brakes not releasing somewhere.

Reply to
prana

Please see my other reply. Previously the car moved when had the brake set. This time there is almost no budging the car at all.

Is there a way to check if a brake caliper is seized or to try to release it??

Reply to
prana

Is there any chance the car was parked illegally, and the cops put a metal "boot" on one wheel? I've heard of people not noticing these things, as absurd as it sounds.

I'm guessing your Corolla has drum brakes in the back, so there won't be calipers. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. You'll see a cable running to each wheel. The cable runs through a couple of guide structures which I really can't describe well, but they're pretty obvious. If you tug on one side, you'll see how it's supposed to operate. You should be able to move the appropriate parts in a direction which will cause the brakes to release.

If you intend to use the parking brake in a car, it's a use-it-or-lose-it situation. You have to use it regularly, or the parts will corrode and freeze up, especially in the winter because of salt.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Jack each side of the car up and try to turn the wheels, put it in Neutral, and release all brakes, assuming you can safely do this. If a brake is frozen, the wheel won't move at all. If the problem is not brakes, the wheels will move just a little.

Reply to
Tom in Macon

Yes, it is fairly easy to check if a brake is frozen.

If the car has a manual transmission, put it in gear, or if it has an automatic, put it in park and block one or both of the front wheels to prevent the vehicle from rolling forward. Jack up the back of the car and try turning the wheels by hand. If the brakes are adjusted properly, the wheel should turn one time or one and a half times. If the wheel turns freely, it needs adjusting, and if the wheel does not turn at all, the brake is frozen or jammed. You can try to move the actuator lever on the inside of the backing plate or backing off the adjustment on the star wheel to see if you can remove the drum.

Even though you were able to move the vehicle with hthe parking brake applied before, I think the car has a problem with the parking brake.

Reply to
Ray O