2004 Matrix Sludge

I am told that my engine has sludge at 17,000 miles despite oil changes. I can not find all of my receipts of my oil changes. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have my engine flushed if they will not honor my warranty?

Reply to
progoddess

Get ready for the flames. You will be told you did not change your oil since you have no proof (receipts). If you had it done at Jiffy Lube or a Toyota dealer, they will have records. You never said how many times you had you oil changed.

The final questions are: who told you you have sludge and what is the evidence you have sludge?

Put on your flameproof suit and get ready.

Reply to
ma_twain

And I would ask the same questions. For example, at 20000 miles on my

1994 Dodge Caravan I was told I had sludge by a rapid oil change technican. I changed oil every 3000 miles over the life of the vehicle and never had any problem with that engine over the 10 years I owned it.
Reply to
dbu'

If your engine is genuinely sludged, you need to take it to a toyota dealer if you haven't already. Flushing your engine will not correct anything if oil gel is significant, so stay away from that. Take it to a dealer, have it looked at, and have a sit down with the service manager and see what he will do for you. Just because you don't have any reciepts doesn't necessarily mean Toyota will not help you out to some degree.

Reply to
Qslim

Don't pay too much attention to what you hear from the loyalist in the NG, they are still in denial.

It is well know throughout the industry and Consumer Groups that Toyota, Chrysler, VW and SAAB have engines that are developing sludge, despite proper oil changes even at dealerships.

Toyota, VW and SAAB have extended the warranty on those engines. Chrysler is still holding out however with the poor maintenance defense of their engines, as Toyotas originally did. They too will soon come around as has Toyota

As to your Toyota, not to worry. You should not have any problem. Toyota will "clean, repair, or replace as needed" any engine where "gelling" is indicated. You need only "affirm that the oil was changed at least once annually" according to the information released by Toyota when the warranty was extended in

2003 to eight years unlimited mileage. I would suggest you take you vehicle to a Toyota dealership. preferably your selling dealer for whatever fix is needed to yours

mike hunt

dbu' wrote:

Reply to
IleneDover

First step in problem resolution - verify the problem. The OP has not identified WHO said there is sludge and what evidence supports the claim of sludge.

Reply to
ma_twain

I will ask the same question that has been asked before: Who diagnosed your car with oil gel? Also, I would like to correct information posted by someone else earlier: Toyota currently does not have a warranty extension. What Toyota has is a program for some engines in the late '90s. Regardlesss, I know that they are currently looking into all cars that are relatively new.

First, you need a Toyota dealer to diagnose the car as being oil gel. Then they will need to tear down the engine to determine the cause of it. I've seen gelled engines before and you can always tell if the oil was replaced or not. If you have been replacing your oil periodically (every 5k miles), you should be OK. Please keep in mind that you will be responsible for paying for the tear down and any towing fees unless Toyota offers some type of assistance. In this case, you may be responsible for nothing.

Good luck!

Reply to
ggal