2004 Toyota 4Runner - Maintenance Light Will Not Shut Off

I recently purchased a used 2004 Toyota 4Runner about a month ago and the maintenance light when on about a week ago. So I had the oil changed and it still hasn?t shut off. What is wrong? Should I go to the dealer?

Reply to
Tbrasch

I am not certain, but I think the oil change interval is part of the OBD II, and if so then you can use the OBD II diagnostic tool to reset the light. You can use the tool free at AutoZone, or you can buy one on eBay for right around $100 and use it on all of your cars built after 1996.

The OBD II data port is under the dash, right above your left foot. The data port looks similar to a printer port (on the printer, not the computer), except that there not as many pins.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If the oil change interval is causing the maint. light to stay on, it can be reset without the diagnostic tool. If you can get a hold of a users manual it will tell you how to do it. I know that it requires turning the key on to the run section with the motor off and pumping the gas pedal so many times. I am NOT sure how many times though. That is why you need the owner's manual.

Terry

Reply to
TERRY

I couldn't remember the procedure either, but I am about 99% sure that the OBD II scan tool will reset the oil change interval. I could be wrong on that, but I seem to remember that the scan tool will do the reset. And, the scan tool is useful for all manner of home projects ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't have my manual with me while answering this post...so if this doesn't work post back.

My 2005 4Runner manual say's to reset the MAINT light... start with the ignition key on, then press the reset button on the speedometer that changes the display from trip1, trip2, odometer until you get to the odometer reading showing... and then holding the reset button in while turning the ignition key to the off position and then turning the key back to the on position while holding in the reset button all the time, and the MAINT light should be reset to off. I believe that is the order you do it in. Like I say, if that doesn't work, post back and I'll go get the manual and quote from it. I believe you can get this info from *your* manual, or an online PDF one from Toyota'a Website also.

...Allen

Reply to
Allen L.

"Allen L." wrote: > In > news:1_521504 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com, > Tbrasch typed: > > I recently purchased a used 2004 Toyota 4Runner about a > month ago and > > the maintenance light when on about a week ago. So I had > the oil > > changed and it still hasn?t shut off. What is wrong? > Should I go to > > the dealer? > > I don't have my manual with me while answering this post...so > if this > doesn't work post back. > > My 2005 4Runner manual say's to reset the MAINT light... start > with the > ignition key on, then press the reset button on the > speedometer that changes > the display from trip1, trip2, odometer until you get to the > odometer > reading showing... and then holding the reset button in while > turning the > ignition key to the off position and then turning the key back > to the on > position while holding in the reset button all the time, and > the MAINT light > should be reset to off. I believe that is the order you do it > in. Like I > say, if that doesn't work, post back and I'll go get the > manual and quote > from it. I believe you can get this info from *your* manual, > or an online > PDF one from Toyota'a Website also. > > ....Allen

Allen -

Thank you so much - I did what you said (reset button and turning the key) and it worked. I couldn?t find that in my manual, which is why I posted the question.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!

Tanya

Reply to
Tbrasch

Just an FYI, it should be in section 1-6 of your owner's manual. Try searching for oil reminder light in the index.

Reply to
ggal

The light doesn't go off just because you change the oil. Look in your manual to find out the sequence that you must perform to reset it. On my '04 Camry it's *something* like (but don't depend on this)

1) remove the key if it's in the dash 2) hold down the trip odomoter button while inserting they key (and turning it to the first position?) 3) watch the mileage display place several dashes, then they will disappear one by one until the real mileage comes up, and the maintenace light goes off. 4) presto - you're good to go for another 5,000 miles.
Reply to
Steve Henderson

In my 2005 4Runner you turn the key to the on position...then cycle through the odometer from Trip1>Trip2>stop at ODO all with the key on. Now press the reset button (right below the cycle button) and hold it down while the ODO is showing (no trips showing) and turn the key to the off position and back to the on position...all the time holding the reset button. The light should go out. It *is* in the manual...look for 'do it yourself maintanence'...

...Allen

Reply to
Allen L.