2004 Transmission fluid

My wife's car is a 2004 Matrix (2WD), automatic. So, when I looked in the owners manual about what trans fluid it uses, it says Toyota T-IV or Mobil 1 J3309. I do my own maintenance and it's at 30K, which is time to change the filter/fluid, etc. I can't believe the #@!@#$ the trans tube says that it shouldn't have to be fooled with "in normal service". They trying to make people believe nothing wears out? Since I'll never use a dealer for anything, the task was to find Mobil

1 J3309. Of the 6 stations I called, no one had it and no one would not order it. Very nice! My local parts house directed me to the Valvoline ATF. The Max-Life version is Dexron III-Mercon and says it's compatible with a whole list of ATF's including Toyota T-IV. The Mercon V is a synthetic and says it fully compatible, even for top off's. They both state that they will NOT void any Toyota warranty. An email to/from Valvoline confirmed it's compatible, but the only glitch is that Toyota hasn't confirmed this finding. Back to my local Service Station.... they use Cam 2 and say they've been using it for years and recommend a full flush and refill with it. Never a problem.. Anyone ever used any of the general fluids vs the Toyota blend ( @ $10.00 /qt) thx
Reply to
SilverStude

Is this the stuff?

The Mobil site has a “find the product” link, not sure if this will help you. Look over the site for a phone number or email link to contact them. A Mobil distributor or jobber might be able to order it, but you may have to buy a case of the product. Might check prices for this fluid first. It may be cheaper then Toyota, but not the same low price as Dexron.

Take note, Mobil also makes Mobile 1 ATF that is a different product, you do not want this!

The dealer apparently goes by the color of the fluid to determine when to change it. The fluid color range goes from red to black.

Be careful if you use something other then the recommended fluids!! You do not want to void the warranty or damage to the transmission (this has happened). The fluid change schedule for synthetics is very long. As such, do not be in hurry to change the fluid if you are unsure of the replacement fluids compatibility. This topic has come up before in the TN forums. Perhaps a TN thread search will turn up more info. A web search for the Mobil ATF 3309 will turn up interesting hits and auto help sites that talk about this issue.

Reply to
toyomoho

Stick with the Toyota brand. It'll save you the most in the long run.

It's the cheapest man who spends the most...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty