2005 Camry Factory Manual *(&^*%

I just called Toyota to get the price on a factory manual for my new 05 LE. Here's what I found out. Volume 1...$128.00 Volume 2...$128.00 Volume 3...$88.00 Electrical diagrams.. $87.00 or a total of $458.00 When I asked why so many and why so much they responded saying that they were printed in Japan and were getting so big that they had to be sectionalized. This is outrageous to say the least for a company to try to rip someone a new one who just wants to know a bit more about the car and perhaps try some self maintenance that's not intuitively obvious. If I keep the car beyond the expiration of the 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty I'll buy an extended warranted because it's only $875 if you shop around.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Obviously, you haven't tried to buy a book in a college course recently! :)

Reply to
offen rong

Toyota Factory service manuals are written for dealership service personnel and are not intended for do-it-yourselfers. The information is so complete in regards to technical information that it probably has stuff a homeowner would never attempt at home. For example, most homeowners do not have an emissions tester, nor would they be plasti-gauging main bearings. On the other hand, the manual might not have information on some procedures that any automotive professional would know but a do-it-yourselfer might not know, like how to bleed brakes, adjusting parking brakes, etc.

I have factory service manuals for our 97 Avalon and for our old 93 Previa, I gave away the set of manuals for our 92 Camry when I sold the Camry.

As far as splitting the books into various volumes, believe me, it is a lot easier to balance a book that is 2 inches thick in the engine compartment than one that is 6 or 10 inches thick!

If you have basic automotive knowledge, you will not need a book to replace brake pads and shoes or do the routine maintenance items in the owner's manual except perhaps for changing a timing belt. I recommend Chilton, Haynes, or Motors manuals for do-it-yourselfers because they have the information do-it-yourselfers seem to need the most while omitting less common information.

The advent of OBD II has standardized diagnostic trouble codes so you can go online and get that stuff for free.

Reply to
Ray O

Sunday I put my 1998 Toyota Sienna Factory manual on eBay, it has pretty much everything in one volume and now sells for $128.15 plus shipping and tax. I believe I know exactly what Toyota has done, it has made another profit center out of manuals just like all the other parts. Break a book into 4 parts and charge just about the same as you charged for one book, quadruple profits. An 04 Camry isn't that more complex than a 98 Sienna. I'm pretty sure that the car parts business for Toyota is probably more profitable than selling cars especially when there are no equivalent alternative like say for tires, batteries, belts, brake pads etc. But as soon as someone sees a potential to compete with Toyota they'll make and sell parts cheaper. Back in my career I used to purchase lots of complicated equipment and always specified extra manuals. Many of the vendors would try to charge extra and I would have the equipment order cancelled. Many would moan and complain but eventually come thru, not one ever backed out. But any subsequent order would be tantamount to bending over. I also always demanded a an extended warranty at no additional charge and got it most of the time. Too bad I was only buying one Camry LE.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Factory manuals is nice to have around even half of the stuff I couldn't touch from either lack of knowledge or special tools. It's by far better than any Chilton, Haynes or somesuch. I've rebuild an automatic transmission with a factory manual in hand years ago - young, stupid and no money. I wouldn't not try this with a Chilton or Haynes.

Reply to
Fred

If too costly - wait til after the 3 year warranty is out and then look for used set on ebay! There are several mail order Yota parts places that discount OEM stuff 20-30% .

Reply to
Wolfgang