2005 camry rear door pannels

I see to screws at the bottom if those are removed does the pannel just pop off then. Looks like it would seperate just below the arm rest.

Reply to
David Wells

I am not familiar with your particular car, but most Toyotas have screws along the lower edge of the interior door panel, plus 1 or 2 screws holding the arm rest to the door frame. Look for circular plugs on the lower side of the arm rest. The rest pop off.

Reply to
Ray O

Go get the special little "pickle-fork" V-shaped door panel removal tool to GENTLY pry the plastic snap-connectors loose. That way you won't break any, or at least not as many...

(The dealer parts counter should have replacement snap fittings available if you break any off, the heads lock into T-shaped holes in the panel.)

And get in there with a flashlight and a mechanic's mirror on each fitting to confirm what you are prying on before just waling away blindly with a crowbar - if they sneak another screw in on you, you can rip the door panel by forcing it.

The door panels are only tempered Masonite (like a cheap clipboard) with the vinyl upholstery heat-bonded on, they won't take much abuse during removal - and if you want a real shock, price a new one.

Been there, Done that, been careful, haven't wrecked one yet.

Oh, and once you get the trim panel off study how the polyethylene door panel water liner goes together before you remove it, especially where it tucks into the slot at the bottom - take pictures, and get fresh putty to seal it to the door sheetmetal. You have to put it back the same way, or the water will get past it and wreck the door panels.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thank you for the info. The rear passenger door has leaked out of the bottom of the door pannel since the car was new. I have had it into the dealer once to fix and it is better but still leaking so will show them this note and have them go at it again.

David

Reply to
David Wells

If the water is leaking past the poly liner into the interior of the car, there are only a few places it can get through... It has to be around the inside door release handle assembly, the window crank (manual) shaft, where the wiring pokes through for an electric window switch, or one of the screws holding on the armrest. Or they did not tuck the plastic properly into the bottom slot.

Oh, or the drain ports in the bottom of the door (outer edge, past the gasket so the water drains on the ground) are clogged, and the door fills with water and comes out the liner slot at the bottom. But if that was it, you would hear water sloshing around inside the door.

Either way, if the Masonite of the door panel has been soaked and this is a warranty claim, they should be replacing the liner panel too. The water will get to them, and they'll either rot or crumble over time. And until you go to take the door panel off and the rotten backer-board crumbles to give it away, you'll go nuts finding the source of the moldy smell - it's hidden under the outer vinyl.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

My many thanks. I called the dealer and when I take it up next time for service he said to call a few days before so they could order any parts they need. It may be a month or so but will let you know how it goes. Again thanks

David

Reply to
David Wells