2005 Rain water in Door?

  1. K Aug 19, 10:14 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.toyota.trucks From: "K" - Find messages by this author Date: 19 Aug 2005 07:14:53 -0700 Local: Fri, Aug 19 2005 10:14 am Subject: Highlander Rain Water in Door? Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Remove | Report Abuse

I have a fairly new Highlander that I bought recently. I notice now that every time I open any of the 4 doors after a heavy rain, there is a good 1/4 cup of water that flows to my driveway. Normally, I would just have called this water runoff, but the water seems to be coming from the little holes which are IN the door (hole between the layers of

sheet metal that are in the door).

Has anyone noticed water coming from these holes? Is this expected or is there a flaw with my weather-stripping? I guess, I am curious about what would happen if the car were parked for a long time in heavy rains

or if a particular door were not opened for a long time. Would the water just build up inside the door and lead to rusting?

I am trying to decide if I need warranty service. Thanks in advance.

That is what the holes are for. They might be partially plugged delaying the draining until you open.

Keep them open. Otherwise leave alone.

Ron

Reply to
ron

The holes in the doors are drain holes. It is normal for some water to get past the window gaskets and into the door, especially if the window is open even a little bit when raining. Normally, the water will run out the drain holes as it enters the doors. If the vehicle is parked at an inclined angle, it is possible that the water is directed away from the drain holes and opening the door changes the angle enough to allow the water to drain out.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:bf01a$43062830$44a4a10d$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

Drain holes are usually placed at the extreme ends of the dorrs to aid in drainage.

It's also possible for rustproofing treatments to plug one or more drain holes. This would cause the doors to retain water under certain conditions.

If the OP parks on a sloped driveway, he can try parking backwards and seeing if that affects water retention.

Reply to
TeGGeR®