2005 Sienna Transponder Key

I have one master (black) transponder key for a 2005 Sienna and would like another key. Local locksmith's want $80 to make the key and program it. I've seen posts that say "self-programming" may be possible in a 2005 Sienna and others that say it requires a special tool. Is it possible to buy a key from eBay and program it myself?

Reply to
corbettandkerri

There are 2 parts to the key, plus the keyless entry function if the vehicle is so equipped.

The first part is the physical key with teeth that fit into the lock.

The second part of the key is the chip - transponder chip in the key. Without the correct chip-transponder, the door locks and ignition switches will turn but the engine will not start.

It is possible to program the keyless entry functions of the key yourself, i.e., lock, unlock, etc. if you have a working key.

Programming the transponder chip requires special equipment.

Reply to
Ray O

On Mar 27, 12:38=A0pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The keys on e-bay are just blanks. You would need a "4D" transponder key blank. But as far as I know, you must be able to program the OBD2 system to go into the "key programming" mode first. Which usually requires a OBD2 bypass adapter. Note these two examples I see.. Note they look the same, but not the same price... Someone is double dipping the charge I bet.. :/

you get the puter into the key learn mode, then youcan supposedly do the routine to program the keys..So yes, I do think it requires the OBD2 bypass adapter for thatyear. Which costs more than $80..So.. You are probably just as well off to bite the bullet and letthe locksmith do it.. :(BTW, I need to make me a couple of extras too.. I've only got onemaster "black" key, and if I lose it, I'm in a world of shit. :(I keep putting it off due to the price, but I need to do it.I've always kept spare keys on my cars in the past, and my yotais the first not to have any yet.I have a spare door key I made at home depot I can use in caseI lock the key on the car. It will do everything except let the enginestart. I keep it in my wallet.On the 05-08 yota systems, if no transponder, you can crank theengine, but it won't start.I'm really careful not to lose my key.. As an example, when I goup to my place in the country, I never put the key in my pocketwhere it could fall out in the woods somewhere. :(I keep it in the little "door compartment" in the dash so as not toget lost. Myself, I think the system is a PIA.. I'd disconnect it if I knew a way to do it.. I'm more worried about me getting locked out, than I am someone stealing my car. They will still need a key, transponder or not. I was trying to find a way to mount a "hot" key very close to the key hole area where the antenna is, and be able to use any key, but I found it has to be really close to work.. Like almost touching it.. So that didn't pan out so hot. It kind of worked, but was sporadic.. Like I say, it's got to be real close.

Reply to
nm5k