2005 Tacoma Daytime Running Lights

The "angle of the sun" thing is someone else's theory. Frankly, I know when my car's not as visible as I'd like it to be, so I turn on my parking lights, at least, and maybe the headlights. No DRLs on my 02 Tacoma.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

And this is a good indication why they are not as effective as many of you claim. Most manufacturers are not even installing them anymore. Don't go telling me they are saving money. If they were really doing the job, the government would be making them mandatory on all new vehicles.

Reply to
badgolferman

Well, to an extent, they have to work, and to deny the logic is silly. You've seen people who don't drive their cars - they aim them. Those people should have large illuminated signs on top, like pizza delivery vehicles. DRLs aren't a bad idea for those cars.

What I'd like to see is a way of turning off certain features for a limited time. Push a button, and the key-in-ignition chime is disabled for an hour so you can clean out the car with the doors open, and still listen to the radio. Same for the DRLs, at least for my purposes, if I had a car equipped with them.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Accuse me of that which you are guilty.

Reply to
Philip

Dizzy, shouting has yet to make you respectable. You've made -a- point but not the one you intended.

Reply to
Philip

Equally visible but more visible with DRLs than without.

No, every vehicle with DRLs gains that advantage. That all are equal does not make any one less than equal. Substitute night for day in your POV and there is no reason why any vehicle should have any running lights at any time. The sea of lights you complain about will never be a bother ever again, especially since ambient light levels seemingly provide more than enough illumination at any time of the day or night.

DRLs overcome minimal operator error but do not resolve all nor create any operator error. I've had my say and I'll not argue further until it is quantified that DRL usage increases accident rates. There are decades of actuarial data you can research,

regards A.G.

Reply to
Registered User

For DRL's, I'd only allow FIVE minutes override.

Reply to
Sharx35

snip

Rubbish.

Reply to
Philip

Why is it rubbish? Perhaps you're thinking that if all vehicles have DRLs, then none stand out, so they're the same as if none of them have it. This isn't a function of the lights. Rather, it's due to the perception of the observers, i.e. you and I and all the other drivers.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Philip" wrote: snip

Philip, I sure wish that you were right, but you sure aren't mister. Likely there's not more than 90 % of vehicles in Canada using DRL's.

Which would lead one to believe that EVERYONE is VISIBLE then?!?. Thanks for your endorsement of this great safety feature Philip.

What a crock...Jesus, can't you do better than that Philip?

You sure must have one helluva set of peepers if you can tell whether an oncoming single headlight is a motorcycle or a car with one headlight out while nightime driving...iow, BULLSHIT (if you'll pardon my french)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Ed, this doesn't make sense to me unless you're saying that headlights annoy you period?...if that's so then you must be annoyed all the time that you drive at night eh?...or have I missed something?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

What possible difference could living in Canada make?, except for possibly a slightly LONGER dark period...It gets JUST as dark in Fla at midnight as it does in Northern Canada at midnight...Jesus...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The wording should have been better. Take II: In America where DRLs are not required, motorcycles with their DRL requirement do stand out better when a low angled sun is behind the motorcyclist.

Reply to
Philip

Come on down ... closer to the equator. Even you will figure it out then. Sheesh.

Reply to
Philip

Southern Ontario is further south than parts of California.

Reply to
Sharx35

We do have earthquakes but none have moved the Oregon / California border that much further north.

Reply to
Philip

Point Pelee Ontario is further south than the Oregon/California border.

Reply to
Sharx35

Note the following excerpt re latitude of Point Pelee Ontario:

Just over 50 km (30 miles) south-east of Windsor, Ontario, lies the most southern point on the Canadian mainland - Point Pelee National Park of Canada. This tiny green oasis is internationally known for its spring and fall migration of birds and its stunning autumn monarch butterfly migration. Famous vistas such as the "Tip" and Marsh Boardwalk provide people of all ages with unlimited opportunities to discover nature. As you pass through the Park gates, you are arriving at the southernmost tip of Canada's mainland, which is at the same latitude as northern California. Much of the Park's unique character is due to this southern location. Canada's Deep South offers an unrivalled collection of plants and animals in a wide range of habitats. Point Pelee is one of Canada's smallest national parks, and yet this tiny oasis of green attracts nearly 400 000 visitors each year. Our greatest challenge is bringing people and the environment together. From picnic areas to the Visitor Centre, all facilities and services are designed to preserve the Park's natural environment.

Reply to
Sharx35

Hilt, CA has a latitude of 41° 94' Point Pelee, Ontario has a latitude of 41° 54'

Is that overlap significant in the context of our discussion? No.

How about the southern border of California / Baja California ... median average latitude of 37°63 minutes?

Or the southern most tip of Texas ... about 25° 50.4 minutes? Ya think being that much further south has an effect on sun angle throughout the day?

Reply to
Philip

snip

For your edification, Sharxie:

"Point Pelee National Park (national park)"

Coordinates: Lat: 41 57 00 N degrees minutes Lat: 41.9500 decimal degrees Long: 082 31 00 W degrees minutes Long: -82.5167 decimal degrees

This is -equal- to (within a tiny fraction) the California / Oregon BORDER (41° 59').

- Philip

Reply to
Philip