2005 tacoma excessive cold idle speed

I'm new to the group and apologize if this is a tired topic, but couldn't find it in a search of old posts. I have a 2005 Tacoma, 4 cyl. 5 spd. It idles at 2000 rpm for over a minute on a cold start. It overpowers the brakes and digs holes in my gravel driveway unless I ride the clutch. At work, idling in the parking lot, it quickly hits

2000 rpm in gear, which makes it buck. In general, it acts like a 1964 Dodge Dart with a poorly adjusted automatic choke. There are obviously driving techniques that can deal with these problems, like riding the clutch (which makes all the neighborhood dogs bark) or just waiting for it to slow down, but why should I have do do that with a brand new truck?. The dealer says that Toyota likes their new engines to "spin" when they're cold, for longer life, and that this behavior is programmed into the computer and can't be adjusted, and if you over-ride it somehow, the check engine light will come on. My wife's 2003 Camry is perfectly behaved hot or cold, as was my beloved '92 pickup. Is there any solution to this, other than hoping Toyota gets a lot of complaints and comes out with a service bulletin and a new chip?
Reply to
Temujin

That behavior is normal. The reason is to bring the engine up to operating temperature as quickly as possible, reducing emissions. I think the reason you find your wifes camry easier to handle is the fact that is (probably) an automatic and produces less torque than your tacoma. I wouldn't hold my breath on a fix.

Reply to
qslim

Try the V6!

The RPMs are normal, emission related, and not limited to Toyota. My neighbor's 2005 Ram does the same thing. FWIW, I either hold the clutch in or take it out of gear for a minute or so, and the RPM drops to 1400, or so.

I usually only drive my truck 3 days a week or so. The other morning, after three days off in 9F weather, it gladly dropped to 1400 after a minute or so.

Since it's not broken, it isn't going to get fixed. Simply learn to give it a minute before to take off from totally cold starts.

Reply to
B a r r y