2005 Toyota Echo Brake Rotors?

Hey I'm Wondering if anyone can tell me roughly how many /km I can expect out of my OEM rotors?

Im at about 130K and just wondering if thats about right, or whither my mechanic is ripping me off by not changing the pads sooner?

and does anyone know where I can get a service manual, it appears Chilton and Haynes, doesn't have any echos at all...

Thanks TroN

Reply to
tdelaronde

130K what? feet? miles? kilometers?

It's not uncommon for rotors to have to be replace after about 50,000 mi. He's not ripping you off by doing less service.

How long they last depends on how you drive.

Did you try Toyota?

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff wrote in news:FCMqj.29700$qI.3007@trnddc03:

Since he gives his request in kilometers, It should be fairly obvious to the average higher primate that he's expecting an answer in kilometers as well.

Plus an IP trace of his posting address reveals he's in Ontario, Canada, probably in the Kitchener area.

130,000 kilometers is about 80,000 miles. But OP does not state YEARS, which is the determining factor in rust-ridden Southern Ontario, not miles.

And your driving environment. Southern Ontario rust is a phenomenon that must be seen to be believed. Rust is not auspicious for brake components.

Indeed the only place. Other than eBay.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3DC7DE8996Ctegger@207.14.116.130:

My mistake. He does indeed. His car is an '05.

This means he's been driving on the same rotors for three years. That is a bit young for replacement, even factoring in Southern Ontario rust.

I wonder if they're warped or badly scored? OP does not say what the ostensible reason was for replacement.

Reply to
Tegger

This is for 2000-2003 Echos, but it should be close enough and at least as good as what's found in the crappy Chilton and Haynes manuals:

For vehicles not covered by the above website, here's a place where you can access crappy AllData for free:

(lib,access)

Most libraries carry Mitchell manuals, at least the online version.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I checked at the local zoo, and it wasn't obvious to most of them, and that was just the people visiting.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

The higher primates you polled, were their knuckles dragging on the ground?

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, many were business majors. How did you know?

OTOH the chimps said, in sign language, that it definitely had to be kilometers.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Thanks everyone sorry bout the lack of info for those technical people...

2005 toyota echo 4 door hatch back 130 250 Kilometers, 80,933 Miles, 427,329,262 Feet automatic transmission no mods

My driving habits I would say 50/50 highway / city, I do not ride my breaks and make few emergency stops... i do make many trips to north western ontario.

more so my question was about the replacement or the pads prior to needing to replace the rotors... that is are pads and rotors usually replaced together. or can i expect to get a few pad life's out of a set of rotors?

and toyota is a good idea, thanks... TroN

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
TroN

You should get at least 40,000 miles (64,000 km) from a set of brake pads, and have to replace the rotors every other pad replacement.

As far as the shop manual, if you need instructions on replacing pads, I can provide a few pointers.

Reply to
Ray O

LOL! You must use the Japanese method of extending brake life - mash the accelerator and lay on the horn!

Reply to
Ray O

I've always wanted an air horn in my cars, just can't find an OEM Toyota one yet!

Reply to
Ray O

RAY! Tellme you're not guilty of DWO!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

"Ray O" ...

Why not add an aftermarket one? I actually have one that I plan on putting into the Prius once it gets warmer in the garage. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Nah, not since I moved away from the Boston area, where DWO was necessary to make decent time.

Reply to
Ray O

I've thought about it, but the horn in the Sequoia and Lexus are actually pretty decent. The Lexus has an air suspension, so I've thought about tapping one of the air lines to provide air. I'd need some kind of canister for a reservoir and a one-way valve so the car doesn't become a low-rider whenever I use the horn. Since the horn is decent, it hasn't been high on my priority list, at least for the past 15 years or so ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

Another way to go might be to just use an electric horn that sounds like an air horn. None of that extra stuff. I would like to hear it first tho before I put it in. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I'd want to hear it too!

Reply to
Ray O

Trust me Ray, you don't want to do that. The built-in air compressor is a very low CFM output made to just pump up the air suspension and nothing more. Thing would take an hour to fill a tire.

If you try running air horns off the suspension air system you will run that little compressor to death refilling a separate 2-gallon air receiver tank needed to run the horns for two good solid toots before they run out of air, and when you wear it out you can take a good guess what that compressor will cost to replace at a Dealer...

To do it right, you need a 1/4 HP or better 12V compressor (100 PSI cutout minimum) and a 4-gallon or better receiver. The compressor alone will set you back between $75 (Harbor Freight 'disposable' ~1/4 HP) and $750 for a new Thomas or Gast 12V 1/2 HP oil-less piston compressor that will build air fast and last you many years - and is huge. 14x12x8 Then you need the receiver (~$100) the horns (~$100 - $300) pressure switch ($40) starter relay contactor ($40) the air lanyard valve, and hoses and hardware...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I hadn't done the math yet, but I suspected that a practical air horn system would not be a simple or inexpensive undertaking! I guess I'll stick with the factory horns for now.

Reply to
Ray O