2006 Corolla wind problem

Why in the HECK does this car feel so unstable in winds over...say...20 mph? Holy cow...you really got to fight to keep it on the road. Is it the weight? Is it the wind getting in and under the wheel wells? Mine is the 03 CE corolla, and I have noticed this problem ever since I bought the car.......Is it this way with all Toyota's or just the Corolla?????

It makes me want to consider a trade in, or switch back to another VW, which felt very solid in the wind....

Reply to
slatt333

I have an 02 Corolla and I have the same issue. I find any amount of wind enough to move my car and at times, it seems dangerous. If I park my car and put the windshield wipers on the fastest setting, I can feel the car wiggle left and right.... heh.

Reply to
mrsteveo

My 2003 Corolla had bad alignment from factory - front toed out, rear toed in on drivers side, neutral on passenger side. Correction and pushing air pressure in the tires to 38 psi made a big difference.

Reply to
Mr.E

Tires and alignment. Toyota puts the worst tires on their Corollas. We replaced the OEM tires with 4 decent tires

and cured the wind-drift, tramlining (following seams/grooves) and wet road traction/ABS issues at once. When you get the new tires be sure to have a 4-wheel alignment done. Make a few practice panic stops because you're gonna be surprised at how much faster the car gets from 60 mph to 0 mph.

With decent tires the Corolla handles and brakes MUCH better. (Maybe Yokohama AVID H4 High Performance All-Season tires.)

Reply to
dimndsonmywndshld

I still have whatever tires came on the car, but bought it used at the dealer. They still have very little wear at all and that's with

35,000+ miles in a little over a year. I had the breaks checked out too and they too -- checked out perfectly. I was a bit suprised...
Reply to
mrsteveo

Steering on these cars is sensitive. Some of it is rack ratio ... some of it is the high degree of body roll stiffness. Having said that, you might want to get the alignment checked for toe. It needs to be set to ZERO.

Reply to
Philip