2006 Matrix vibrates loudly when idling

My year-old 2006 Matrix starts to vibrate quite loudly when stopped at a light. I can often feel the vibration in the steering wheel and the brake pedal. It's been in to the dealer twice. They replaced an engine mount the first time - no change. Second time they made me drive the car and point out the noise. The technician acknowledged the sound and then declared "that's just the normal engine sound." But I am skeptical that Toyota would decide it's "normal" for the car to vibrate as loudly as this.

Any ideas? I see people have had similar issues when accelerating, but this is the opposite - only when the car is stopped while in drive.

Thanks, Nick Beem

Reply to
nicholasbeem

Has the car performed that way since new? Does the vibration go away if you put the transmission in neutral or if you turn on the AC? If so, then you may be experiencing normal 4 cylinder engine vibration.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a 2005 Vibe with a 5spd manual. Mine is fine a traffic lights. In fact it's so quiet I some times stall it while I'm letting out the clutch. What is the engine RPM while it's idling ?

Reply to
john

I have the 2006 Matrix manual, and its also so quiet at idle that I sometimes check the rev counter to make sure its still running...

/S

Reply to
Moro Grubb of Little Delving

I would try another dealership.

Reply to
Hauli

The sound became very apparent a few months after we bought it - but in retrospect it's hard to say if it "started" or we just finally noticed it.

The vibration stops when I take my foot off the gas pedal, shift into neutral or park. It happens when the AC is on as well as off.

In reponse to another poster's question, the RPM is at the bottom of the gauge when the car is idling (not sure the exact number).

Thanks for your help, Nick

Reply to
nicholasbeem

You may want to take the car to the dealership service department for their opinion, but it sounds like normal operation to me.

Reply to
Ray O