2006 Scion TC

Hi All,

I'll be retiring my '89 Prelude Si (purchased used) and have been looking at the 2006 Scion TC 5-speed. Does anyone have any experience with this car? I know it has the 2.4 engine from the Camry, comes w/17" Z rated tires. The hatchback doesn't seem very deep for bulkier things to haul should that come up. Also has a timing chain instead of belt, correct?

I was comparing this to the new Civic Si and Mazda 3.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the Scion TC? The reviews I've read in magazines and google seem positive so far. Live in Maryland, so there will be some snow in the winters (which is why the "all season" Z-rated tires are a concern).

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Thanks,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Looks fine to me and it's on my short list next trade. One review mentioned that the seats weren't all that comfortable during extended trips. I'll want to judge that for myself. Keep in mind that the TC is not a sports car. The Mazda3 2.3 and the Focus ST will out perform it if that's important to you. The new Civic Si might too but no one really knows what'll actually show-up for sale. If it's not an emergency, I'd wait until the new Honda Si become available.

Reply to
FanJet

But if reliability is even more important, the tC is the preferred choice. Not to mention that the tC probably has better fuel economy than either.

Reply to
S.S.

Well, if reliability is really an issue, one doesn't buy first year experiments. TC fuel economy is much like the 4-banger Camry which means it's not great.

Reply to
FanJet

Not exactly an "emergency" but there comes a point where you get tired of sinking $$ into repairs. A little here and a little there really adds up - not to mention the A/C is out (compressor). Took the Mazda 3 2.3 out today and the salesman got me to drive a Mazda 6 as well. The clutch on the 6 actually felt a little better, and it was quieter. Also many discounts on it, whereas the 3 there were no discounts at all.

The new Civic Si is tempting but was thinking of buying sooner. Any idea exactly when that's coming out? The current model is fun to drive and the seats hold you in nicely. Just can't get used to the appearance - to me it looks kinda cheap or gaudy.

As for the Scion TC, it still looks good. Haven't test driven it yet because I haven't been able to find a 5-speed. There are a couple much farther away but haven't had a chance to get there yet. By the time I can get there they'll proably be gone! Still - does anyone have any idea on the expected treadlife on these "Z" rated tires? Mix of highway and city. Can't say how spirited the driving would be without actually test driving the car first :-)

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Yes - reliability is important, but I trust Toyota's track record. Parts were taken from other Toyota models in the US and abroad. Also noticed the fuel economy isn't great. It's heavier for it's class.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

If you can find one, you can get a great deal on a Focus ST which uses the same 2.3L Mazda3 engine . It's said to handle a bit better since it's suspension and brakes are from the 2004 SVT. Of course you'll get nailed in depreciation. No big deal unless you trade a lot which is one of my habits.

No body really knows except to say it's this fall. It'll probably have the RSX/S's 2.0L engine and the 6 speed transmission as well. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of 7K+ revs to get some serious power and even at that, there's not much torque. I'll test drive it though, hoping Honda's made serious improvements. I briefly owned a 2003 Si. Gutless. The only good part was the re-sale value.

The dealers around here got a bunch of autos initially but now the 5 speeds are common. The ones I saw had Bridgestone tyres which will probably wear decently if you drive decently. The TC isn't going to be a Prelude substitute so I'd take my time making the decision.

Reply to
FanJet

Arrrghh!!! Parka Fucus next to a Mazda 3S and tell me which one looks MUCH, MUCH better! The 3S is awesome!! I got to crank one around the lot today and I love it. With all due respect, it beats the snot out of any of the current Toyotas I have driven lately. It is about the same size as the Matrix, but the engine is .5L larger, it has the AT/MT tranny and it REALLY WORKS!, 16-or17" rims with nice low profile tires, and an aggressive looking body style, so much better then the slab-sided Fucus. I was really imp0ressed. The ONLY real fault I could find with the car was that when you start it up, it sounds like a Singer sewing machine! But the engine revs quite merrily and the Manual Mode transmission shifts WHEN and WHERE *YOU* shift it, not where it dicides to shift for you. You put it in "1", it goes INTO "1" and STAYS in "1" until you shift to "2", where it stays until you selelct "3". Nice. Excellent handling, too!

But it looks like ours was a crasher, so I'll be looking elsewhere. Now, if I can just get my hands on the IS300 5-door (another guy worked on that one today...)

Reply to
hachiroku

The dealers around here still have the automatics. Was able to "dry-shift" a 5-speed that was already sold, but that doesn't say much. Honda manual still felt better, but need to actually drive it. Not necessarily looking for a substitute for the Prelude, although it's been a great car to drive.

Reply to
Dave L

I'd stay away from the Focus for the simple fact it's a FORD. They've gotten much better but still have a ways to go. And yes, I'm aware about the relationship between Ford/Mazda. Only time I've driven an auto/manual was an '04 Mercedes C320. Tried the tiptronic on it but it's not the same as using the clutch. It was a nice car but for the money I would buy something else. The car was still sweet - also the first time I've ever seen/used a panoramic sunroof until the tC.

Reply to
Dave L

It's a nice car, but not in the league of an old Volvo 240 Turbo or Celica GT. Still, it is under $20K, so that's a good plus.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Not a Celica.

The shifting and suspension isn good, but it's not "tight" like the car it supposedly replaces. I'd just get a low mileage Celica GT instead.(plus the GT looks better)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

We've had a couple xA's and xB's, but still no tC's. The only two we've had were customer's cars, and the only one I did a Wash And Vac on, the onwer drove herself. (niiice...BOTH of them!)

Reply to
hachiroku

May have considered that before. Normally get a used car but I'm being nudged to buy new this time. No real surprises when buying new. Used to have an '86 Celica years ago and it was a good car. Performance of the Celica doesn't seem to compare to what's out there nowadays. Many chicks driving them - how does a car turn into a "chick" car, anyway?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Ok - finally test drove the Scion tC manual. Shifted nicely and excellent torque. Slower speeds in 4th or 5th gear and she still pulled willingly without downshifting. Handled nicely but also felt the weight. Very solid car and qualty build. However, there are blind spots and the door is a little high to stick your arm out the window. Was looking for a reliable, fairly economical daily driver with a little fun. Two out of three isn't bad - just can't picture buying new tires every 20 - 30k miles for the Z-Rated shoes she's wearing. It would temp spirited driving, so the tires wouldn't last long. Maybe I'm being too frugal?

Oh, and the Scion dealerships I have called and visited have all been excellent.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L