2007 Camry 4cyl synthetic oil required?

Who cares what they come with. As long as the manual says that non-synth is fine they shoudl put that in. They are a bunch of liars, I'd take my business elsewhere if I were you.

Reply to
RT

I saw Pennzoil 5W-20 at Pep Boys early this year, and a few months ago I saw some at Wal-mart or Kroger.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You don't have to rub it in... You're like the 5th person to point out that my suspicions were wrong.

As a wise sensei used to say... "even monkeys fall out of tree sometimes"

Reply to
Ray O

the dealer perform an oil change on my '07 Camry (4 cyl) and they used synt hetic oil and said it was required. I went to my owners manual and took a q uick look and found only grade recommendations and didn't see anything spec ific about synthetics (I'm not saying it wasn't in there, I didn't do an ex haustive search but checked the places that mentioned lubricants and engine specs.)A quick google search on synthetics returns an almost overwhelming amount of information and a lot of difference of opinion. Much of this info rmation may be outdated now so I'm not even sure what still applies. My que stions:1) Are synthetics really required for this car or was this just a wa y for the dealer to pull an extra $14 out of my pocket?2) Do using syntheti cs prevent going back to using non-synthetic oil at some future point (read this somewhere but again, article was dated 2000, so could just be false o r perhaps no longer true)?3) Should you really wait for the engine to break in and seal the piston rings before switching to a synthetic? My Camry cur rently has 5,000 miles on it.Thanks for any clarification. I hope there is somewhat of a consensus or I'll just get more confused :-)dc

You can use conventional oil but the engine does burn through it pretty qui ck so check your oil level regularly. The rate of burn is much slower usin g synthetics and is recommended. First time I used conventional I didn't c heck it for 2500 miles and the level didn't show on the dipstick. Lesson: check fluid levels monthly.

Reply to
richard.sivcovich

[...]

lpmart107

[...]

On Friday, June 15, 2007 9:06:49 AM UTC-5, d snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: > I h ope this doesn't set off a religious debate, but here goes:I just had the d ealer perform an oil change on my '07 Camry (4 cyl) and they used synthetic oil and said it was required. I went to my owners manual and took a quick look and found only grade recommendations and didn't see anything specific about synthetics (I'm not saying it wasn't in there, I didn't do an exhaust ive search but checked the places that mentioned lubricants and engine spec s.)A quick google search on synthetics returns an almost overwhelming amoun t of information and a lot of difference of opinion. Much of this informati on may be outdated now so I'm not even sure what still applies. My question s:1) Are synthetics really required for this car or was this just a way for the dealer to pull an extra $14 out of my pocket?2) Do using synthetics pr event going back to using non-synthetic oil at some future point (read this somewhere but again, article was dated 2000, so could just be false or per haps no longer true)?3) Should you really wait for the engine to break in a nd seal the piston rings before switching to a synthetic? My Camry currentl y has 5,000 miles on it.Thanks for any clarification. I hope there is somew hat of a consensus or I'll just get more confused :-)dc If anyone reads thi s this is just fact. If you are going to keep your car 1 year it doesnt mat ter what type of oil you use. I purchased a 1994 toyota 20 years ago and I have 358,000 miles on it. I have changed my oil every 15,000 miles and and I have used mobil-1. I am now using 0-20. I have had no oil leaks in 20 ye ars and I use very little oil. I have changed my spark plugs 1 time and th at was not necessary. I would not use anyting except 0-20 mobil-1 if Iwere keeping my car over 5 years and 15,000 mile oil changes is just fine. Thank s

Reply to
lpmart107

first of all, I dont know where you get your oil changed but for me the dif ference is more like $30.00, not $14.00

second, let me clarify about synthetics. years ago the debate raged about t he differnce between synthetic and mineral oils. synthetics are clearly bet ter in that they do not break down over time like normal oil. also they tak e extreme cold and heat better. however, are they worth the extra cost ??

my answer was always no. i liken it to having a yamaha stereo of 3000 watts over a panasonic at 1000 watts. the yamaha is clearly better, only trouble is that the 3000 watts is above what the human ears can hear, so is it wor th the extra cost for the extra benefit ??

slufge in a car comes form three things. oil, water and dirt. changing your oil and filter regularly will eliminate the dirt. running the car to opera ting temp, eliminates the water. the only real benefit to synthetic is that if you overheat, it wont break down, it does give some better lubrication, but mineral oil has worked well for 100 years,

having said that, the car manufacturers have all decided to go to synthetic s in their new vehicles. starting in 2013, ALL Gm vehicles are required to run synthetic. owners used to a $20.00 oil change will get a shock T $59.99 for synthetic, and that will include your mother. cant wait to hear that o ne

as far as used vehicles go, if it came with mineral oil, i waould continue to run it with that. and yes, once you change over, youj must now run synth etic.

Reply to
mtocco1