2007 Corolla antennae safe for auto car wash

Just bought an 07 Corolla, I see the antennae is on the rear of the roof. Has anyone had trouble with the antennae being damaged in a automatic car wash?

-Mike

Reply to
wdoa

Though our cars are 12 years apart, on mine I can just slide it down by hand...then again, my car has never been washed.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

The Toyota manual recommends removing it before using an automatic carwash. I've used a touchless automatic carwash a few times this winter without any problems.

I'd remove the antenna if you plan on using a carwash with the spinning brushes and dangling bits of outdoor carpet : P

Reply to
homepc

For one, I wouldn't use a carwash...I wash them myself, and I STOPPED using the 'foaming brush'. The paint being used on newer cars isn't as robust as it was in the past, and these thing will really scratch the hell out of the finish! Use the Wash It Yourself bay, with a nice soft rag. I don't even use a bucket; I soap the car, and then turn on the foaming brush, and DRIP the soap onto the car, and then so over it with the cloth I brought myself. The rinse it and apply wax. The wax used in these car washes has gotten better, and it's cheap protection until you can apply a good coat of wax in the spring.

Other than that, the antenna just unscrews. If you really want to run it through the car grinder, unscrew it first.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Unfortunately here in Massachusetts it's about 10 degrees F/ -12C so washing it in an outside bay is out of the question. The place I would bring it to claims to be "touchless" so I'm not too worried about scratching.... but I will take the antenna off.

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
wdoa

Don't know... my '04 antenna is the same deal, but I always use the "wash it yourself" bay.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

I'm in the Greenfield area...yeah, I was going to wash my Mazda, but at 10 degrees tomorrow, I'll wait! I'd rather be able to open the doors...

My Scion tC is safely covered in my back yard...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks,

-Mike

I am thinking that if it is touchless, nothing will touch it and it ought to be OK. Just like driving through a major rainstorm? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

According to the manual, you should remove the antenna before using an automatic carwash.

________________ Toyota 07 Corolla

Toyota 07 Corolla Catalog by Toyota Motors "wdoa" wrote: > Just bought an 07 Corolla, I see the antennae is on the rear > of the > roof. Has anyone had trouble with the antennae being damaged > in a > automatic car wash? > > -Mike

Reply to
Felixia874

Why would any manufacturer still use an external antenna? It is so EIGHTIES!! My Camry, with its built in antenna, has excellent AM and FM sensitivity and selectivity.

Reply to
sharx35

some of us keep our 'rides' a few years....LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Car manufacturers that try concealed radio aerials seem prone to problems. The Audi A4 exploited the rear demister's metal grid. You should hear owners complain about the bad reception. "Works reliably" beats "cool" or "pretty" any time, IMHO. And, you can tie silly stuff to a whip aerial. :-)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Like the yellow ribbon I have on my antenna (the symbol for a safe return of a loved one in the military)....

Reply to
Scott in Florida