2007 Rav4 rear crankshaft seal, blows

My 2007 rav4 with 70k miles:

Two weeks ago had a service done at the Toyota dealer, including oil change.

Today , while getting out at a store noticed an oil trail on the pavement. Checked the oil and its at "add".

Now the tranny is out, and its a failed crankcase seal.

What can cause a catastrophic failure of a seal?

I am retired and have babied this vehicle, now am faced with a $1500 repair bill. and will it blow again.?

Want to replace it with a new equinox.

Reply to
chevychase

obob

Default Quality problem with V6 engine in RAV4, Camry, Lexus... [oil hose failing] (Sorry if this has already been covered...) This is happening all over the country. An oil hose is catastrophically failing and all the oil is running out while driving. Its happening all over the country with V6 models and any other make (Camry, Lexus) that uses the same V6 engine. New, all metal hose is being used as the fix but there are none to be found. Dealer tells me NOBODY has them and they have been on backorder for at least 6 weeks. My wife is now stranded in WV since the local dealer cannot get the replacement part.

My Rav4 is a 2007 Limited V6. Im not sure if they fixed this in later models.

Reply to
obob

It was not the crankshaft seal !!!,, Its an oil supply pipe with a rubber hose that needs replacing.

Toyota has a silent campaign on it.

Reply to
chevychase

go to Toyota, its a repair bulletin, replace the pipe

Reply to
chevychase

What are the dimensions. Use a brake line or failing that you ought to be able to jury rig a high pressure hose/ steel line with some adapter fittings to fit almost any threads to at least get you at least home. There is nothing special about that part that would prevent making an equivalent.

Reply to
uncle_vito