2007 Yaris liftback comments

I've had the US model Yaris liftback a few days now, and like it. Some comments:

1) In daytime the speedometer looks a bit dim, exacerbated by glare reflected from the semicircular gray "shelf" in front of it. At a craft shop I found a sheet of stiff black felt and cut a piece to cover that "shelf." The reduced reflection on the speedometer's face resulted in enhanced contrast. Toyota should reward me for this design improvement :^)

2) My Garmin 2610 GPS unit (beanbag mount) sits nicely on the dash just above the steering wheel, and thanks to its speed readout I rarely need to glance over at the central speedometer. In fact if you don't really pay attention to the idiot lights on the speedometer, you might as well put the Garmin right on the shelf in front of the speedometer and boast of your "digital" speedometer. I do find that when the 2610 is placed above the steering wheel, its shiny top is reflected in the windshield when the sun is bright, and can be a distraction when you're looking straight down the road.

3) Position of the driver's seatbelt anchor is not adjustable. Because of my 5'11" height I racked the seat all the way back for a pleasant stiff-arm driving position, but found the belt too near my neck. A cheap belt clip allowed a more comfortable fit on my shoulder.

No MPG figures yet, still on first tank. Couldn't find a stick liftback, had to settle for auto but enjoying the car all the same. With rear seat folded down it's a great cargo hauler for its tiny size. I'm totally satisfied; the car met my requirements for a small car with good MPG but still with some "personality." The tight turning radius is great. All dealers in my area are asking MSRP price, treating the Yaris just like Scion. Still in very short supply in northern Virginia.

Reply to
Charles Gillen

Thanks for the review. I wanted to take a test drive, but no one around here has them. I'd like to see the liftback with manual trans. The reviews I've read report some performance loss with the auto, but that is expected. The car is supposed to handle well, all the more reason I'd enjoy a manual. With the rear seats down, how much room from the front seat back to the inside back? What is the narrowest point in width on the floor in the back?

Please post your MPG when you check. Thanks, John

Reply to
JohnR66

as an owner of a 2007 yaris sedan, i agree the auto is slow, but the car does its job, saves me some money in gas!

Reply to
Punch

I've had my own Yaris since last week; had the same problem finding one to at least test drive (or for that matter, look at...they had a few of the coupes but no HB's). I had stopped by the local dealer on a Sunday, they said they were expecting 2 either that night or the next day; I hadn't heard from the dealer by Tuesday afternoon so I called them; they had the cars had just gotten there. I left about 20 minutes later after work; the HB was being pulled up front so I test drove it and beat out someone else who was test driving it to buy it. Red is not my color of choice...but oh well, the blue one that came off the truck was manual. I opted for the automatic only because I'm tired of shifting especially during gridlock traffic jams.

My own pet peeves/need to get used to differences: The interior is dark and I can't even see things on the seat next to me if I have my sunglasses on in the garage. I'm also noticing a lot of people "looking" at it because it is so different. Actually...with it being "red" I almost feel like I did when I went blonde for about a week in my early 20's...yikes!! Quit looking!! :) One thing I do miss about the Festiva that was displaced by my new Yaris is the rear windows that popped out; it's been about 105 degrees (F) and with the car in the sun...hothothot!!

Reply to
seerialmom