2008 4Runner Question

Hi Everyone,

I have been driving my new 4Runner (SR5 2WD V6 w/ 17" tires) for 6 months now and there is something I am just not too happy about.

Ever since I bought it, I felt like the vehicle wanders slightly which makes it harder to control on just about any surface - streets or freeway. I took it to the dealership and they tell me that the steering wheel is really sensitive and that I just need to get used to it.

Well, I am not sure that's all it is. So I'd like to know if anyone out there with a 2008 4Runner is experiencing the same problem. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Make sure your tires are inflated to the proper pressure as listed on the vehicles placard (usually somewhere on the drivers door jam), not the max pressure listed on the tires. It has been my experience that some shops blindly inflate tires to the max pressure listed on the tires sidewalls. This pressure is not necessarily the correct pressure for any particular vehicle. This is particularly true for extra load P series tires which have very high max pressures shown on the tires. I had one vehicle that was almost undrivable until I lower the tire pressures to the correct values. My Nissan Frontier was very sensitive to steering inputs when I first got it, even with the tires properly inflated. However, after about 10,000 miles it got a lot better. I assume that until the tread wore down some, the tires were just somewhat "squirrelly." My second set of tires never had the same concern.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I will give check the tire pressure as soon as I get home.

Thanks for your reply, Ed.

-Joe.

Reply to
Joe

Just take another 4Runner out for a test drive.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

As Ed mentioned, improperly inflated tires can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. I recommend inflating the tires to 5 PSI more than the values listed on the door jamb to improve tire life.

Some tire tread patterns do make the vehicle handle differently than others.

If adjusting tire pressure does not help, you can ask the dealer if they can add 1 or 2 more degrees of positive caster to both front sides to improve tracking.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks much, Ray.

I appreciate your reply...