2008 Highlander Thoughts?

Anyone have one? What are the negatives of this vehicle. I'm trying to decide between this and a Mitsubishi Outlander (at a lower price...)

Any legitimately honest thoughts welcome. All non-honest thoughts won't be paid for.

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?

Joe

I have an 08 Highlander Limited AWD had since July, just at 12k miles - I think I have only had one tank of gas that averaged under 17 mpg - If I run on the highway (Say to Idaho from Northern Californa) I am always over

23,and sometimes 25+. (It has a resettable cumulative MPG meter and for some 9000 miles was 19.4) I had an 02 and this one is much nicer all the way AND better mileage - I really struggled with the 02 to get in 22-23 mile range and this one does it easy. About only thing that is taking getting used to, it seems the "blind" spots while backing are a bit bigger but the backup camera helps some - I just pay more attention backing up. Ron in Ca
Reply to
ron

Thanks Ron, great info.

Reply to
Joe

The highlander is based on the Camry chassis. The 3.5L engine that's also used in Lexus however has a "piston slap" design problem that Toyota knows about but decides to do nothing (letter from Lexus follows). "It's normal" they said.

So I would suggest you also check out the Honda Pilot. Or America's best selling compact SUV - Honda CR-V.

Car and Driver comparison:

======================================== Subject Defective Lexus Design

Discussion Thread Response (Heather Mauu) 04/28/2008 06:34 AM

Thank you for contacting the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department regarding Concern. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts.

Lexus understands your concerns with the engine noise heard in your

2007 ES 350, Vehicle Identification Number JTHBJ46G772142795. Lexus has done thorough research into this matter and has found that this engine noise is a normal operating condition. We apologize that the vehicle has not met your expectation. Please be assured that your dissatisfaction has been documented in our records for product improvement consideration.

If you require further assistance, please contact the Lexus Customer Satisfaction Department at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Heather Mau'u Customer Satisfaction Representative

Reply to
johngdole