2008 RAV4 Driver's headrest.

Not that I can rest my head against the headrest while driving (the sucker rides a lot rougher than my '95 Camay) but the headrest seems to tilt forward at about a 75 degree angle. This makes me hold my head to far forward. My '95 Camry had adjustable headrests. Is there any options for the RAV4. If so, I have been unable to find them. Am I going to be required to bend the upright posts in the headrest.

out at the still

Reply to
fruit jar

I've noticed the same thing in our Sequoia, and it is annoying to me to. My guess is that the angle has something to do with crash protection. Fortunately, I don't drive it very often. Bending the upright posts in the headrest is going to be a challenge since they're strong enough to withstand crash forces. You can see if an upholstery shop can remove some of the padding and re-cover the headrest, or look to see if an adjustable headrest from another model like your '95 Camry will fit.

Reply to
Ray O

Maybe you can turn them around backwards. Sometimes that helps but the locking notches are usually on one post, so the headrest will only be against the top of the seat back.

Reply to
user

Try grasping the headrest cushion and physically rotating it around the center like you were rolling a log into the back seat.

Some headrest cushions are adjustable, and when they are they deliberately design the adjustment method so it won't move under even the severe impact forces of an accident, but will move fairly easily with properly applied force.

Or releasing the hidden ball detent - sometimes you have to go all the way to the full forward position to get to the 'all the way back' adjustment, it pops to full back, then you can ratchet forward again. Or something else simple yet equally devious.

And if you can't raise the drawbridge, lower the river... ;-)

Get a seat back cushion pad that moves you an inch or two forward in the seat (and following the rule 'for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction' in effect moves the headrest an inch or two back) and see if that helps.

You're welcome. ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Had two '95 Camrys 'til January, only the LE has adjustable headrests. The DX headrest was fixed. The RAV is a Limited, so it should have the best headrest available.

I tried to turn it around, but then it was too far back and if you get bumped in the rear, whiplash would be certain. I also tried to move the ones from the back seat but they are spaced differently.

May go to a salvage yard and try to find one from a Corolla or something with the same spacing and diameter of posts. I am hoping that someone else has already found an answer.

Reply to
fruit jar

Since I drove a '95 Camry without an adjustable headrest, (my '95 LE does have the adjustable headrest) for 10 years, with the seatback as fully erect as it would go with no problems. then those engineers had it right and the newer engineers are like politicians who know what I like better than I do.

If I wanted a sermon, I would go to church. Do you read your own messages? If I moved the seatback, my head would move with my body. Duh!

Reply to
fruit jar

Thanks for the answer. You are correct as the posts will not move. I may try the upholstery shop if nothing else works. I do think that if an inch of the projecting material was removed, that it would not reduce the safety that much. Maybe see if I can get it replaced with a denser foam.

I usually buy new and keep for many years. I have put over 200K on more than one Camry. Best was an '89 Wagon. Wish Toyota still made a wagon.

The angle may be due to crash protection but that does not make it any more palatable in my case. The 08 RAV does have better head restraint protection than the older camry according to the below site.

fruit jar

At the present, the seatback cushion is the only easy solution. That is what I am using. If I can find a good wedge type cushion, that will probably work. Thank you for the best solution although it was already in use. You win the prize. Buy a lottery ticket and it should pay off as your reward.

Until January, I had two '95 Camrys and one headrest was as you described. Once moved forward to adjust, you had to take it all the way forward before it would go back to the full upright position.

Reply to
fruit jar

fruit jar wrote in news:fstlt3137317e126bq3ihrmujd93vb1jrk@

4ax.com:

I think the days of the "headrest" are over. It's now a head "restraint" in the event of a collision from behind. It's probably designed for that purpose only.

Reply to
Mitchell Regenbogen