2009 Corolla oil filter wrench

I just got a 2009 Corolla LE (traded in a 2000 Corolla). Crawled under car this morning to see what kind of oil filter wrench I need THIS time. Found the strange-looking filter unit. Went to dealer and purchased a filter and found you only get the 'guts' now, you no longer get the tin can. The wrench I used on the 2000 Corolla fits the new plastic cap that you have to remove (unscrew?), but with a very slight play. This 'play' might be OK for a metal filter that you're going to throw away anyway, but I'm wondering if continued usage on the plastic cap gizmo is going to round off its edges so it will be hard to remove. Is there a proper tool for getting the new filter unit apart?

Reply to
John B. Smith

Does the owner's manual show a special service tool? Did the dealer parts or service department have any tips?

Reply to
Ray O

So you have to wash out the oil container? Cheaper part, higher labor.

Reply to
who

Owners manual doesn't talk about changing oil. But then I don't think my 2000 manual did either, as I remember. The service dept has been cooperative about a couple stupid questions so far, so I'll probably run this one by them before I have to change oil in the fall. I was hoping to catch a 2009 owner here who changes his own oil.

Reply to
John B. Smith

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O