2009 RAV4 question

Group,

I am looking at a 2009 Rav4 4wd with about 100K on it for >$9000. It's the 2.5 4cyl, with the normal power options. Seems like a good buy, but I have some questions:

What's the deal with the rav4's 4wd? Is it full time, or only when the front wheels start spinning. I understand the 4wd lock function, or whatever they call it, but the 4wd isn't what I'm used to.

I'm assuming that Toyota no longer uses timing belts, as I don't see anything on the maintenance schedule for it.

Does anyone have experience with this model year? Is there anything to look out for?

Thanks, Julie

Reply to
Julie Warden

Hi, I have a 2010 Rav w/ 4wheel. If I understand it correctly most of the power goes to the front wheels unless the fronts start to spin and then power is applied to the rear wheels as a % of the total available up to maybe a 60/40 split.. I don't recall seeing the 4wheel dr. icon light up in the time I have had the car, and I live in a heavy snow area. That is, w/ the exception when I deliberately gun it on a deserted street just to assure myself that the 4 wheel is there if needed.

Reply to
Thomas Kirchhoff