2010 auto reliability report for models sold in North America

You have to scroll down the page a bit to see the full table. Also near the bottom of the page is a link to a .pdf of this table. You can sort the results by what's important to you. I sorted by 6yrs - 10yrs old, because we tend to keep our vehicles at least 3yrs past warranty and longer.

I think the final notes (pasted below) says it all:

Notice that Toyota and Honda products dominate the upper end of the reliability spectrum (accounting for a combined total of 90% of the best automobiles) more than GM and the Chrysler Group dominate the bottom end of the reliability spectrum, which two of the Detroit Three account for only

73.3% of the worst automobiles. In other words, the best automobiles are concentrated in two automobile manufacturers, but the worst automobiles are more broadly distributed among motor vehicle manufacturers.

Also note that Toyota Motor Corporation, Honda Motor Company, all other auto manufacturers headquartered in Japan, and Hyundai Motor Company (headquartered in South Korea) have not one entry among the 30 worst automobiles. Kia Motors Corporation (South Korea) has one entry. However, two North America-based auto manufacturers and one Europe-based auto manufacturer have multiple entries.

Not that I've ever owned one, nor would I ever waste that much money on a car, but I was surprised at some of the low grades BMW received on some of its models.

Oh this chart also shows discontinued models since these tests started years ago and just get updated every year.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

What a waste of a web site. It is just repackaged Consumer Reports Data that has been further obscured. The CR data is so poorly collected to be almost worthless, and this web site treats it like gold. It also appears to be slanted towards Toyota. For instance, the Ford Fusion V6 has an average score of 3.63 but is only ranked 154 . The Lexus IS series has a 3.48 average score, yet is ranked 7th. What a crock. Plenty of other obvious attempts to smear domestic manufacturers using almost worthless data.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You have to be kidding. The Consumer Report Survey is B O G U S . I have filled the survey forms out for years. They don't collect enough data. The questions leave it up to the responder to decide what is important. The group surveyed is far from represenative. It a self selected subgroup of a self selected group. And then the data is presented in such a manner as to make minor variation appear significant.

To net it out, the CR Auto Survey results are a deliberately obsure display of almost meaningless data from a non-reperesentateive sample. In other words, so much hogwash. And then this site further obsucres and misrepresents the results. It is total BS.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Glad you found it useful. I stumbled across it looking for something else. I figured it may come in as a handy tool for anyone here who may be shopping for another car.

I've never seen CR data. Is that the one you have to pay a membership in order to see their research?

I found the sheet to be fairly accurate for the cars I know. For instance it correctly identifies Honda's biggest mistakes (Passport, Odyssey, Prelude), and it identifies Toyota's weaker vehicles too (Venza V6, Tundra V8 4WD, RAV4 V6, Sequoia) For many years I've heard mechanics say Toyota is excellent for small, medium sized cars, but that they should stay out of the truck/van and large engine business, leaving that to Ford and GMC. This data supports that mostly, though it seems Toyota has put out some more recent larger engine models that are ranking fairly high.

I'm not at all surprised about the Dodge results. Even as kids we used to say Dead On Delivery, Garbage Extra. They were garbage then, and still are garbage in my opinion.

I was floored at how poorly Mercedes-Benz and BMW scored. I've always heard that you pay so much for a BMW or Mercedes so that you'll still have it in

20yrs. Well, hmmm.....

I do think the stats on Ford may be off though. I see lots of old Crown Victoria's still on the road, and definitely a pile of 96/97 Ford Taurus sedans. I owned a Ford Taurus sedan which was super costly to repair, but it lasted 13yrs with only major repair being needed in the last 2yrs I had it, and the engine and transmission were still going strong without ever having problems. It was the rust that killed the car and my not getting the car rust proofed.

I also see a ton of older Ford trucks on the road, and have always heard that Ford and GMC battle for top spot in trucks every year. Seems odd that reliability for Ford and GMC trucks would score so low.

I have to laugh that the only Pontiac that does well is the one engineered by Toyota. The Pontiac Vibe (is really the Toyota Matrix). I've read numerous times that if you're in the market for a used compact car look for a Pontiac Vibe with low mileage. The price new (when last sold in 2009/10) was very low already, so the used price is better than average. You're essentially buying a Toyota Matrix for $5,000 less than the used ticket price of a Toyota Matrix with the same features and mileage. The hard part is finding a used one with a dealer who is being fair on the ticket price.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars