22R Distributor Rotor (?)

My 1988 Pickup distributor rotor (factory part) always comes with a very odd finish on the tip. Almost looks like carbide grit or something.

Anyone here know what it is, or what the story around it is?

Reply to
croy

I'm not sure exactly what the finish is made of, but I believe that it is designed to maintain contact with the distributor points as it wears.

Reply to
Ray O