3 speed or 4 speed? Corolla - how can I tell?

We are looking for a 4 speed 1998-2003 Corolla, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference in the two. Someone said that if it had an extra button on the gear stick, it had overdrive and that made it a 4 speed.

How can I tell?

Thanks.

Reply to
RonnieG

Extra button (by your thumb) on the gear lever.

Turns the overdrive (4th gear) on and off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I just read something earlier that said the VE was 3 speed and CE and LE were 4 speed. Does that seem right?

So, does extra thumb button mean it is a 3 speed? The 3 speed gets poorer gas mileage.

Thanks.

Reply to
RonnieG

Yes, *sounds* right.