36K miles check enging light on 03 Sienna

Hello,

Any thoughts? Maintained perfectly since new. Going to the Toyota Service tomorrow.

Best regards,

Rich

Reply to
RG

I think you should have the computer scanned with a code scanner, which the Toyota dealer can do.

Reply to
Ray O

How much does that cost?

I think its VERY expensive to let the dealer scan it!

Reply to
me

Some places like NAPA, Kragen, and AutoZone do it for no charge and/or let you use the scanner. Although I have to say, you can buy a cheaper ODB II scanner for $100 from Kragen which will be useful many times versus paying the dealer the same and it's one time. Once you get the codes, you can look online or in a book to see what they mean.

You could go to an independent shop as well. They can likely pull the codes. If you trust them, they might even pull the codes at no charge or sometimes charge a fee that then gets applied to work you have done there. You might shop around when it comes to reading the codes... you can usually do that on the cheap and/or at a shop that won't gouge you.

As to having work done, it may be best at the dealer and if it's a complex problem, only the dealer will generally have the tools and the wizards on staff to fix it properly.

Good luck!

Reply to
mrsteveo

My thought as well....and what I would do actually... just buy one

BUT....any advice on what brand/model scanner to buy?

Reply to
me

I bought an Actron OBD II scanner, they are pretty widely available at auto parts stores and Sears Hardware. I bought the cheapest scanner and wish I bought an upgraded one. The cheap ones (~$75 or so) just read trouble codes and clear the memory, while upgraded ones have more features like freeze frame data, the ability to display actual sensor values, and read manufacturer-specific codes. Of course, if you don't know how to interpret the data, then the basic scanner is fine.

Or, you can go to an auto parts store like Autozone, borrow their scanner for free, and report back here for suggested diagnosis. I would not trust the diagnosis of the $7/hour help at the auto parts store.

Reply to
Ray O

Scanning the codes is free if you take it to an Autozone or another parts shop that does it for free. That is what I used to do. Then bring the codes here and get good advice, then once you have an understanding of what the codes really mean, then it would be time to fix it. Do not agree to fix anything without first understanding the codes.

You asked later on what scanner to buy. I got this one: Actron CP9145, but when I bought it it was on sale for about $100 or so.

Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Only P0440, P0442, and P0456 could be caused by a loose gas cap.

Reply to
Ray O

Scanning the codes may be free. The van may have a 5 yr/60k warranty or a longer emissions warranty.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Or, alternatively, make sure the gas cap is tight, then go on your way for a couple hundred miles. The computer will reset itself if things return to normal.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

LOL! That too!

Reply to
Ray O

If those codes appear with others within the range, then the problem is unlikely to be a loose gas cap.

Reply to
Ray O

It wound up being an O2 sensor.

Thanks for the advise guys ;^)

Reply to
RG

Was it under warranty?

Reply to
Jeff

When diagnosing a problem, the fastest way to diagnose is to check (not necessrily fix) in order of probability. The order of probability can be found in the factory repair manual, or it comes to mind with experience.

If the light is on due to a code from the

It is not always helpful to erase all codes after reading, becuase some codes have 2-trip detection logic, which means the fault has to appear over

2 trips. A better course of action would be to check the systems that are affected by the codes, which in most cases takes about 5 minutes.

No, the OBD II convention has not been changed for new cars. The web page you are using probably has not been updated since '04.

Reply to
Ray O