4-runner heater control problem

My girlfriend has a 2002 4-runner "Limited". The controls for the heater are becoming unresponsive. You sometimes have to push a control many times, or hold it down for many seconds to get the function to operate. She has been told by the dealer that this problem requires a new circuit board, which costs $1300 (plus labor?). It seems to me that this is likely a switch problem, or something else which I could fix myself. Does anyone have any experience with repairing this problem?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Toyota doesn't do circuit board replacements at the dealership level so more likely, the repair involves replacement of the control panel. If you are skilled at taking electronic components apart and can identify a contact switch on a circuit board, you could try cleaning the contacts on the board with contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.

Reply to
Ray O