4runner mpg 4cyl vs 2nd gen V6

Is there much difference in fuel (in)efficiency between a 1st or 2nd generation 5 speed 4 cylinder and a second generation V6 5-speed? I need to replace my 4 cylinder and cant find one locally. I dont really want or need a V6 but thats all I can find right now.

Reply to
Joe

I'm thinking that since it was designed and built as 4 cylinder originally, you might want to stick with it, but much can depend on how the vehicle is geared (final drive ratio) and the accessories on the engine. A/C, P/S, etc. can make a small displacement engine work so hard as to make your mileage worse than on a larger displacement engine that does not have to. You may get better mileage.

By changing out the engine and transmission you might have some mounting, accessory, fuel and exhaust issues, and electronics compatibility (cpu and wiring) problems as well. This might be more of a headache than it's worth.

Perhaps Toyota sells a short block assembly reasonably priced to avoid the many possible problems (and probably many more) that I mentioned. In that way you could just recondition the head, mount the accessories, and be done with it.

Reply to
user

Just to clarify, I need to replace my 4 cylinder 4runner because I sold it, I'm not replacing the engine.

Reply to
Joe

If the OP searches the internet, he should be able to find used engines and rebuilt engines, as well.

Reply to
Jeff

Look at the EPA estimates on the Toyota website. That should help.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. Check the latest advertised EPA specs to help make your decision. You already have a real world MPG figure for your 4 cylinder.

Reply to
user

Yeah, I've done that but thought maybe someone had some real life numbers. I dont think I'm going to buy a V6 based on the numbers I've seen. Plus I drove one today and it didnt feel like it had any more power than the 4s I've been driving for 15 years.

Reply to
Joe

To clarify 4Runner generations: Gen 1: 1984-1989 Gen 2: 1990-1995 Gen 3: 1996-2002 Gen 4: 2003-present

Fuel economy obviously depends a lot on driving conditions and driving style, but a lot of people who drive conservatively get fuel mileage pretty close to EPA estimates so the EPA estimates should be a pretty good indicator of the difference in fuel economy.

If fuel economy is a concern, look at the 4 cylinders. Also check out the Highlander, which doesn't have the towing capacity or off-road capability of the 4Runner, but if you are using it as a station wagon, it might make sense.

Reply to
Ray O

Actually I use my 4runners mostly for extended camping trips of 1+ month, so I can sleep in the back (along with the dog, guitar, banjo, and supplies for a week or so). I need the 4wd and clearance for some of the places I go.

I like the 4 runner over a pickup because you can reach up front and turn it on to heat the vehicle. I dont like it because none of them get good fuel economy. I've been looking for other options but keep coming back to the 1st and 2nd gen 4runners despite their shortcomings. I just cant find anything with good economy and the space and off road ability. I like the 4 bangers and have never wanted for more power.

Reply to
Joe

The 4 cylinder 4Runner sounds like a pretty good fit for your use. You'll just have to keep your eyes and ears open or be willing to travel to take a look at one.

Reply to
Ray O