4runner or Pathfinder?

hello

In a month or two I will be looking to buy a new SUV.. This will be the first time I will be buying by myself. My family bought my previous 2 vehicles for me so I was not involved in any part of it (except for the down payment & montly payment part) I already narrowed it down to two

-- the Toyota 4runner & the Nissan Pathfinder. I need help in deciding which is the better vehicle in terms of reliabilty, handling, mpg, etc. So any input from people who knows or who currently owns either of these two vehicle will be greatly appreciated. I've never owned a Nissan or know anyone who has a Nissan so I'm really curious as to how their vehicles are. I currently owned a Highlander which has been excellent & troublefree (but I am forced to sell to my brother who is down on his luck & needs new vehicle badly) so that's why I wouldn't mind another Toyota even though the 4runner is a bit over my budget & the cost of the down payment will take most of my savings. So I want a vehicle I will be completely satisfied with. And when is the best time to buy a car? Near the end of the year like I'm planning? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
kandle2075

I have 03 SE 4Rnry V6 4WD - happy with it. Get realistic 16-22 actual mileage on regular although computer says 18.4MPG. Why not get another Highlander if you were happy with that and don't need heavier off road vehicle which stretches your budget? Or buy you brother a normal car that gets good mileage?

Reply to
Wolfgang

I want to give my brother my Highlander b/c I'm already more than half way done on the loan. I think he could manage to pick up where I leave off. If he buys something else, he'll have much more payments to make. And it gets pretty good mileage since it's only a 4-cylinder. Even though the Highlander is a great vehicle, I was just never really happy with it, exteriorly :) and I always thought it could use just a little bit more power. I think the 4Runner & Pathfinder are really attractive. I really like the rear mirror feature on the 4Runner to help you reverse (sometimes I have problems with reversing). If I'm paying good money for something I just want to be completely satisfied, that's all. :) And I'm really just looking for the basic trim of either vehicles -- 2WD, not Limited or Sports edition. I plan to put down a lot so my monthly payment will be just right. As long as I get it within a certain range, I should be good.

Reply to
love48

My wife has 01 Pathfinder SE 4WD 5sp manual. still runs great and currently has about 95K. One of the main reason we got it over the 4Runner is because at that time, the Pathfinder had more hp that the 4Runner.

Reply to
Raymond

I used to have Nissans before I converted to Toyota. The newest one was a 1989 Sentra. They're okay, but not nearly as reliable as the Toyotas I have had since. Nissans tend to be more agile and powerful, but noisier and cheaper in all around quality. I cannot speak for newer models.

If you were pleased with the Highlander you might consider their six-cylinder model. You will get more power and the vehicle is lighter than the 4Runner. Total performance of the 4Runner may be similar to your old Highlander since it is much bigger and heavier.

As always, make sure you drive each vehicle for a while before deciding. Some dealerships will let you keep it overnight. Chances are you will find something else you love or hate about either one that will make your decision easier.

Reply to
badgolferman

Nissans ALWAYS heve more HP than Toyotas for similar sized engines.

The problem is, the way Nissans are built.

Before buying EITHER, crawl all over it.

I have a Corolla GTS, a Celica (Older one) and a Supra.

I have also had a 240SX, and a friend had a 300Z

After having a good look at the way Nissans are made, and the way Toyotas are made, I'll choose a Toy any day!

For example, my 240SX had been in an accident, and needed a little TLC. While assesing what had to be done, I ran across a myriad of sheet metal screws used to hold body panels together. In my Corolla, these same peices were held together by welding a nut to one side and bolting it together. I figured the clown that rebuilt the car had screwed up and just screwed the car together.

I located another one in a junkyard (too bad I didn't find it first...it had never been wrecked, the body was beautiful, but the timing chain slipped and ruined the engine...it was on top of another car by the time I found it...:( ). When I removed the interior pieces I needed...sheet metal screws!!!! I couldn't believe it!

And the way they get more HP is by making their engines Interference, if the chain or belt breaks the engine is toast.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'd had several Toyotas before buying a Nissan truck. I assumed they were very comparable vehicles. An excellent deal came my way on a new Nissan truck.

The build quality of my Nissan wasn't even in the same league as any of the Toyotas I've had. I'm a cradle to grave guy, and the Nissan went on the market after only four years. It was an OK truck, with no great complaints registered about it. As a self-maintainer, I notice things like clear packing tape on wires instead of split loom and ease of access to routinely changed parts, fillers, and drains.

Like the man says, look CLOSELY at ACTUAL VEHICLES, NOT brochures, web sites, or specs, then decide for yourself. Look inside wheel wells, under the hood, and underneath. Pay special attention to things like hinges, where hoses, shafts, and wires penetrate panels, and where engine parts mate together.

My current Tacoma left the factory with things like stainless steel headers, a remote oil filter, O-rings and grommets in places where other manufacturers use gasket goop, tape, & sealant, etc... Toyota isn't perfect, but they certainly are close.

I now KNOW why Toyotas usually cost more.

Reply to
B a r r y

Excuse me? You were not involved in any part of buying two cars except for the almost insignificant bit about paying for them? If I'm buying something, I usually demand sort of a strong voice in what gets bought. Usually, the guy that brings the money calls the shots.

Now you're forced to sell to your brother who is down on his luck? And giving your car to your brother is going to eliminate your trade-in on your new car, so you'll be over budget on your new car? This sure isn't working in your favor, is it?

Maybe your brother would be better off with a small inexpensive car (a Kia or Hyundai, even) that will run OK for a few years and cost him very little to buy, probably less monthly than the payments on your Highlander and would get better gas mileage and cost less to drive and insure, saving him more money down the road.

If your brother so badly needs a new vehicle, why is this waiting until the end of the year? If his car is fixable/driveable, you should postpone this indefinitely.

Here's my advice:

  1. Keep your Highlander. They're nice cars. Enjoy driving it.
  2. Let your brother solve his own problems. Don't co-sign a loan for him, either. If you are bound and determined to help him (not recommended), see a lawyer (or find a free legal aid office) for help writing up a legally binding loan contract and loan him a small down payment on reasonable terms. Have the loan witnessed and/or notarized by people who are not your relatives. They laywer fee may eat up some of your savings but this will help ensure you get your money back, someday. If you don't get a signed, legally enforceable loan contract for it, any money you give your brother is a "gift." Be absolutely prepared to take him to small claims court and do not loan him more than you could recover in a small claims court.
  3. If you don't already have a house, work on buying one. Even with a small amount of money, you may be able to afford an inexpensive condo/towhouse in a good neighborhood. Be sure to watch out for the condo fees. If you don't turn over your Highlander and your savings to your brother, you can probably afford a house sooner. You want to know what house values are like, so check the sale reports (published in some papers) to see the real prices of houses. If you don't know a little bit about carpentry and plumbing, see if there's a night classe at the community college or whatever to help you out. Get a home inspection before you buy. Always offer less.
  4. When you buy a house, move there without giving the rest of your family the address. Get a post office box and have your brother mail his loan payments (if he makes any) there.
  5. Once you have a house, start putting some of your savings into the stock market. Buy low (when everybody else has bailed) and favor stocks from healthy companies that pay dividends. If you don't trust your own judgement on stock purchasing, buy into some no-load diversified funds.
  6. When you do replace your Highlander, I'd recommend something that gets better gas mileage. Since you've just got 2WD on your Highlander, why not just drive a regular sedan, like a Camry? If you like sitting up high and looking down on the road, the Rav4 is a nice choice that also gets better gas mileage than the Highlaner (although not a whole lot better).
Reply to
DH