84 Celica sunroof - how to remove?

My daughter has a leaking sunroof and I can't figure out how to remove it from the car so I can repair/replace the front hinges. Can anyone shed some wisdom on this? Thanks in advance.

Oscar

Reply to
Resident

I forgot to mention that this is *not* the electric one.

Oscar

Reply to
Resident

Not electric, huh?

Is it a FACTORY sunroof, or an aftermarket one?

If it is factory, you remove the headliner and unbolt it from the roof.

If aftermarket...? I'd just try putting some goop around it. Either way, I believe removing the headliner is your best bet.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't remember if the factory sunroof was electric or had a crank handle in 1984. If it is a factory sunroof, there should be drains at each corner. If the sunroof is just a pop-up that does not slide then it is an aftermarket sunroof and disassembly/repair depends on the sunroof design.

If it is a factory sunroof with drains, try snaking a stiff wire down the drains to clear any clogs.

Reply to
Ray O

It's a manual pop up type with no crank and no drains. So I'm assuming it's an aftermarket one.

I should have been more precise in my original wording. It's the glass I want to remove. There are 2 hinges at the front and one of them is loose and causing the glass not to seal well against the rubber. The handle at the back pops off just fine but the hinges are the problem as I can't seem to figure out how to disassemble them. There are no obvious screws, pins, or clips.

Oscar

Reply to
Resident

A manual pop-up sunroof in a Celica is definitely aftermarket. Corollas used to have a manual pop-up sunroof that was removable without tools. IIRC, in those sunroofs, after the rear latch was disconnected, the glass panel just slid backwards out of pins that connected the glass to the front hinges. If that does not work, see if you can either push the hinges towards the center of the car or towards the outside of the car to see if they disengage.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for your help. It turns out that the caps on the top(outside) of the glass are threaded and once removed everything comes apart. This was not obvious as the caps have no provisions to attach a tool and are perfectly round and smooth. I chewed up the edges with my pliers but at least I got the leak fixed.

Oscar.

Reply to
Resident

I'm glad things worked out OK!

Reply to
Ray O

The latch should have a pin that you pull out so the glass can swing open and out of the hinges when ever you want to remove it.

Reply to
Danny G.