84 yoda 5speed 4x4 trans fuid chang

first of all i dont even know if it is nesisary to change the fluid. it pops out of first gear when i start off, this problem is only with first, the other gears work fine.

if changing the fluid would help, HOW DO YOU DO IT???? i dont want to go to a garoge becaus i have no money but i cant figer out how to do it my self.

PS i also got a sudgestion that the shifter seat or bushing or what ever its called could need replacing. if true how is it done?

Reply to
porter_pody_69

I doubt if changing the transmission fluid would help, but if you would like to change it, place a suitable container under the transmission, remove the drain plug, and let the old fluid drain out. Replace the drain plug, remove the filler plug, and re-fill the transmission. You will probably need a siphon or pump to re-fill the transmission because the filler plug is probably a little over halfway up the side of the transmission case. When fluid starts to dribble out of the filler opening, the transmission is full.

The person who provided the suggestion that the shifter bushing would cure the problem was a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician who worked at a dealership. I have never seen him give out bad technical advice, so that is probably what it will take to fix the problem.

I would have to look at the shifter mechanism to be sure, but my guess is, to replace the shifter bushing, you remove the shifter boot from inside the vehicle, remove the access cover on top of the shifter, remove the old shifter bushing, install the new one, and put everything back together.

Reply to
Ray O

thanks. i gess i will try doing both after all new fluid wouldnt hurt it!

Reply to
porter_pody_69

Start with the shifter bushing if you want to cure the popping out of gear problem. Good luck and make sure you use the correct transmission fluid when changing it.

Reply to
Ray O

I used Valvoline synthetic (think its 75W) and it made my transmission quieter and easier to shift especially in the cold. Its a good ide to make sure you can remove the fill plug on the side before removing the drain plug on the bottom.

Reply to
Wolfgang