86 Van: easy way to remove heater motor?

I need to remove the heater motor on my '86 toyota van. It is making a horrible grinding noise that just keeps getting worse.

I searched this group and the closest I could find was a Rick Jones message from 1997 saying that he knew a quick way that would take about a half an hour as opposed to 3.5 if you didn't know the trick.

I know Rick Jones now goes by another name, but MDT Tech hasn't posted here since March.

Does anyone know the trick?

Can anyone share their heater motor removal expereinces with me?

Thanks,

Michael Weiss

Reply to
Michael Weiss

I figured it out the hard way. After taking most of the dash apart...

If anyone else wants to know the easy way here it is:

Remove the glove box and a few electronic modules and you should see the back of the heater motor. It is attached to the plastic housing with three screws, but the are almost impossible to get at, and even if you do, the motor will not pull straight out because there is a metal brace right in front of the motor. The trick is the plastic thing that the motor is attached to, will split in two, if you remove a couple of clips and undo a screw. Then the front half of the plastic peice can be lowered and the motor is a cinch to remove.

Michael Weiss

Reply to
Michael Weiss

Oh, shoot you meant BLOWER MOTOR! I couldn't figure out what a "heater motor" was!

Reply to
Hachiroku