87 standard 2wd toyota pickup

My pickup goes backwards great but not so hot going forwards. My son in law put a new distributor cap on the truck and I think he messed something up. Where is the screw to adjust the distributor cap at.

Reply to
kckitty10

When you say that your pickup goes backwards great but not so hot forwards, what exactly do you mean? Does the engine run roughly in reverse but not in forward? Does the engine run OK in forward and reverse but the truck doesn't move forward well?

Also, do you have a manual or an automatic transmission?

There is no screw to adjust the distributor cap, however, there is a bolt that holds the distributor housing down. When replacing the cap, there is no need to loosen the bolt and I do not recommend trying to adjust the distributor without a timing light. There is nothing in the distributor that affects how well a vehicle will move in any particular direction. Vehicle direction of movement is determined by the transmission, not the distributor.

Reply to
Ray O