88 Corolla FX carburetor mix too rich

I believe I had a mechanic adjust my mixture a bit too rich.

I just had a head gasket replaced. I just had my plugs replaced also.

The car starts better now than it did before and the stationary idle is better now than it was before. But at about 50 mph I get some hesitation. Micro-lurching.

I believe the mechanic who replaced the head gasket may have enriched the carburetor setting to make it easier to start. But it is sacrificing freeway speed as it isn't really wanting to go over 50 mph and I'm not getting the quickness the car had before.

I blew the head gasket by too agressively downshifting and thus over reving. The car had a head gasket replaced in about 1991 also. There was white steam in the exhaust and it might have been run 10 miles after it happened. But since the repair the gasket issue seems to be resolved and am now just fine tuning the fuel mix.

Any tips on this scenario would be helpful to me. Thanks guys.

Reply to
john

A rich fuel mixture should cause "micro lurching" at higher speeds. Check the fuel filter to make sure it is not clogged, check for vacuum leaks, make sure the fuel level in the window on the side of the car is in the middle by the notches on the side of the window, check the ignition system (including base timing and timing advance), check EGR operation.

Reply to
Ray O

I took it out today, the third time I will have driven it since having the head gasket replaced and the third day since picking it up.

I seem to have found a groove and she runs 55. Still some hesitation between 30-35. But not a big deal.

This was in the heat of the day. 70 degrees in the sun.

To what extent do you see a slight self correction to occur as the vehicle is driven? I did feel more comfortable with it today.

To what extent do you see temperature and humidity affecting performance in this area?

Do you think I'd be best served in giving it a week before discussing areas of interest further?

Would you suggest a 20 mile drive to work now or perhaps give it a few more mile or two chances to moderate?

Thanks again!

Reply to
john

I don't foresee any self correction with time. Check the stuff I mentioned, especially vacuum leaks and fuel level in the float bowl.

Reply to
Ray O