'88 Supra Head Bolts...

Take a look at alt.binaries.images.fun for a series of images called The Problem and then The Solution...

I got all the gunk cleaned up, and then went to torque the head bolts. I saw somewhere spec is 59 Ft Lbs, but everyone recommends 65-80 ft lbs due to the head gasket problems with this engine.

They were all torqued to at least 65...except for the next to the last one, the one that is always listed as 'the problem' , #13...

It was ok to 62 and then it slipped...and slipped some more..and slipped some more...it 'sits' at just about 65 ft lbs...if you go over, it 'slips' a bit.

I tightened it to 65 and called it...I *REALLY* don't want to bust a head bolt, cause if I do, I'm calling it on this car...

Hopefully, we'll be ok...

Reply to
Hachiroku

As long as it is above 59, don't mess with it!

Reply to
Ray O

Believe me, I'm not!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would leave it alone but it sounds more like dirty threads to me.

My BHG leaked between the #3 oil and water passages but the cylinders seal still looked perfect. Nothing was ever loose, abused or warped whatsoever.

I could never come up with a cause and the worst thing that happened to the engine would be misfiring after washing the engine when that center cover leaked.

Reply to
Danny G.

Yeah, like Ray says, 59 Ft Lbs is spec, it holds to 65, sounds good to me!

Reply to
Hachiroku

In theory, all of the head bolts should be torqued equally to provide even pressure on the head gasket, but if one is off, just keep an eye for leaks near the bolt.

Reply to
Ray O