88 toyota corolla hatchback tailight problem

My sister passed away and left me a 1988 carolla hatchback several yers back. I live in the midwest and stopped in Vegas and someone stole the title and keys to the car. I spent a fortune getting this car legal and I am down to the last few problems. I do not have a key to the hatchback which I can live with and moe importantly, the passenger side tailight burnt out and I cannot figure out how to change it. I do not have an owners manual and I cannot afford to pay someone to do it. The access panel is too small for me to see how to exchange. Am I missing something minor or can I change the bulb out without the expense of getting the hatch open? HELP!!!

Reply to
jayhawk19 via CarKB.com

if your car has fold down back seats you can reach the bulbs from the inside of the car it might be kinda cramped in there but thats the best thing without having to pay for hatch to be opened.good luck

Reply to
SMILEY

If you have the key to the door and the ignition, a competent locksmith or a Toyota dealer can use the key to make a master key which should work in the hatch and glove compartment.

Follow the wires in the access panel to the bulb socket, twist the bulb socket counter-clockwise, and remove the bulb holder.

Reply to
Ray O

RAY!!!!! JAYHAWK!!!!!

IT"S A COROLLA HATCHBACK!!!!

THERE"S A LEVER BETWEEN THE DRIVER"S SEAT AND THE DOOR!!!

EVEN THE DIMWITS THAT STOLE MINE IN '91 FIGURED THAT OUT!!! (after they put a dent in the friggin hatch trying to pop the lock!...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I figured that the OP would know about the lever... if the lever didn't work, then the override was probably activated (key slot in the horizontal position)

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, you never know!

When I was doing Tech Support, it didn't take long for me to learn the one question I figured EVERYONE would have known:

"Is it plugged in?"

I wish I had a dollar every time someone said, "Uh, Thanks!" or, "Um, never mind..."

Course there WAS the one time I called Western Digital and said, My HDD won't boot!

Woman on the other end: "When you FDISK'ed it, did you set it Active?" "Um....never mind...!!"

Oh, and....DAMN!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku