89 Toyota Corolla running very rough

The car barely runs, and runs very rough. Like the cars timing is off. I have checked the timimg belt, and all timing points. I am getting spark to all plugs, and gas through the carb. Can the electronic emmission module cause this? Could the distributor be producing a spark at the wrong time, evening though the rotor is pointing at the #1 cyl, when the piston is at TDC? Please advise.

Reply to
one_nate

I'm surprised that the 89 still has a carb, but my experience with an

85 is:

- Every several years, the choke plate doesn't close when cold, and the car barely starts. A spray of carb cleaner followed by WD40 fixes it for a while.

- The car eats plugs. They look fine when I pull them, but I have to change them every 10k.

Other posters claim that non-OEM ignition wires can be a problem.

Vacuum leaks are a typical cause of rough running, and are hard to find.

Reply to
kgold

Vacuum and air flow. Check everything in the air/vacuum system

Reply to
hachiroku

"levin1" wrote: > On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:07:57 +0000, kgold wrote: > > > "one_nate" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> writes: >  >> The car barely runs, and runs very rough. Like the > cars timing is off. I >  >> have checked the timimg belt, and all timing points. > I am getting spark >  >> to all plugs, and gas through the carb. Can the > electronic emmission >  >> module cause this? Could the distributor be > producing a spark at the >  >> wrong time, evening though the rotor is pointing at > the #1 cyl, when the >  >> piston is at TDC? Please advise. > > > > I'm surprised that the 89 still has a carb, but my > experience with an > > 85 is: > > > > - Every several years, the choke plate doesn't close when > cold, and > > the car barely starts. A spray of carb cleaner followed > by WD40 > > fixes it for a while. > > > > - The car eats plugs. They look fine when I pull them, but > I have to > > change them every 10k. > > > > Other posters claim that non-OEM ignition wires can be a > problem. > > > > Vacuum leaks are a typical cause of rough running, and are > hard to > > find. > > > Vacuum and air flow. Check everything in the air/vacuum system

I have the same exact car and the same exact problem. Runs rough, stalls when the engine isn?t warm and wont shut off properly. I?ve been trying to get rid of it for over a year but nothing seems to work, I?ve plugged up all the vaccuum leaks and it still doesn?t seem to want to run right. My dad suggested putting in an after market intake manifold just because its such a mysterious/annoying problem. I could use a few more suggestions myself.

Reply to
poorlyblind42

So you have a 1989 with a carb? Have you cleaned the carb, checked that the choke plate is properly closed when the engine is cold, etc?

Not a plastic manifold, is it? If not, it seems unlikely to have gone bad.

The description does sound like the engine is running lean. This can be a vacuum leak or maybe just the choke. Possibly it is in the carb, carb-to-manifold, or manifold-to-head connections.

Manifold and carb bolts properly torq'd?

With the engine running but NOT HOT, spray carb cleaner around the carb (any seams, where screws and actuating rods pass thru, where it attaches to the manifold, etc) and the manifold (where it attaches to the head and anyplace that looks suspect), and anyplace else on the intake side except thru the actual air intake.

If there is a leaky gasket, cracked manifold, or anything like that, it will suck in the carb cleaner and you will hear how it affects the engine.

sdb

Reply to
Sylvan Butler